About this program
Shimer Great Books School, Natural Sciences
Through the bachelor of arts in natural sciences, you will examine both the historical development and the current practice of the sciences that explore all aspects of the universe.
Encounter the original sources that introduce and investigate the atomic theory of matter, the origins and evolution of life, the social lives of animals, the paradoxical nature of light and the role of electricity and magnetism in shaping our world and experience. Explore the fascinating theories of relativity and quantum mechanics and the astounding development of molecular biology, and begin to understand and appreciate scientific thought, its methods and its limitations.
At Shimer Great Books School, you will cultivate a spirit of discovery and a deep understanding of the natural sciences as a vital human endeavor.
Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): North Central requires an official TOEFL score of at least 79 (Internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test). (Our institution code: 1555)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): North Central also accepts official IELTS overall scores of 6.5 with sub-scores of 6.0 or higher.
- ACT or SAT: Students may also submit official SAT or ACT scores in place of the TOEFL.
- Most successful applicants choosing this option have earned at least a 500 on the EBRW section of the SAT or at least a 19 on the English section of the ACT.
- Our institution codes are: 1555 (SAT) and 1096 (ACT).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Shimer School Natural Sciences Core Courses
- The Shape of the World
- What is Matter?
- What is Motion?
- What is Life?
- Art and Fiction
- Music and Verse
- Models of Social Thought
- The Western Political Tradition
- The Classical Foundations: Logic and Math
- The Modern Foundations of Logic and Math
- Integrative Studies: Ancient Early Modern World
- Integrative Studies: The Modern World
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information
Tution fee: $42,026 per year
A Shimer School of Great Books education teaches students the critical thinking necessary to handle extraordinary intellectual challenges. Shimer graduates have had successful careers in a wide range of professions, including:
- Wall Street analysts
- Financial advisors
- And more.
Message the school
About this institute
North Central College
North Central College is a nationally ranked institution located in Naperville, Illinois, a thriving suburb just thirty minutes by train from Chicago. Our students have access to state-of-the art facilities and distinctive programs, particularly in the sciences and business. At...
Want to know more about Natural Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Kirkland, United States of America
Erie, United States of America
Amherst, United States of America