Master of Social Work
The course includes studies in theory, skills development and supervised professional practice, and opportunities for group-based learning, community engagement, practice research and integration of social work theory and practice. Theoretical content builds on knowledge acquired by graduates in previous higher education, while social work skills components and professional practice introduce students to contemporary social work practice.
This course also available in Off-campus with the study pace of Full time & part-time
English entry requirements
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 (with individual band scores of Writing: 6.0, Listening: 6.5, Reading: 6.5 and Speaking: 6.0)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): score of 58 overall with minimum scores: Writing 50, Listening 58, Reading 58, Speaking 50
- TOEFL Internet-based test: score of 79 overall with minimum scores: Writing 21, Listening 20, Reading 19, Speaking 18
For more information about entry requirements please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This course is structured in three parts:
- Part A. Foundations for social work,
- Part B. Specialist social work practice and
- Part C. Advanced application in social work.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will:
- demonstrate the capacity to effectively apply theory and practice of social work to assessment, intervention and evaluation and to research and social policy analysis
- apply the principles of social justice and human rights in their professional social work careers
- apply advanced knowledge of individual development and the impact of key life events on individual wellbeing
- analyze and evaluate ethical issues in practice and apply ethical decision-making frameworks
- critically analyze aspects of society, especially the impact on individual and community wellbeing of social, political and economic arrangements
- assess and critique the social welfare system, the law and concepts of power and oppression
- implement a broad range of interpersonal skills for effective engagement and social action that demonstrates respect for diverse Indigenous and other cultures, and engages sensitively and confidently with individuals, groups and communities in local, national and international social work contexts
- define and explore the requisite qualities for leadership roles in the social work and human services sector
- implement practice decisions based on critical reflection, research and analysis of current evidence
- demonstrate the skills and dispositions required for continuing professional development.
Successful completion of this course may provide a pathway to a graduate research degree for students who completed the SWM5170 Applied research study and SWM5112 Research for social work practice.
Monash - Our Educational Offering
About this institute
At Monash, the desire to make a difference informs everything we do. But we go beyond good intentions. We make an impact, both locally and internationally. We are a global university with a presence on four continents. And our plans...
Why study at Monash University
Double Degrees: A double degree allows you to study for two degrees at the same time. You will graduate with two different bachelor degrees, giving you more career flexibility and opportunities. Studying towards two degrees at the same time allows you to keep your options open, to develop expertise in different but complementary areas, or simply to pursue two areas of interest in-depth. Monash offers one an extensive range of double degrees, with more than 140 double-degrees combinations across all major study fields.
Monash Warwick Alliance: The future of education lies in global partnership. The Alliance harnesses the collective strengths of two universities from opposite sides of the globe, creating international opportunities for all. Now in its 7th year, the International Conference for Undergraduate Research (ICUR) has established itself as a unique student-led event connecting undergraduates from around the world in a 48-hour global academic conference.
GIG: The Global Immersion Guarantee (GIG) is a ground-breaking study opportunity including a funded overseas experience for all first year Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Global Studies and related double degree students.
Bachelor of International Business
The Bachelor of International Business is the perfect degree for those ready to launch their international career. With excellent industry engagement, guaranteed study abroad or industry placement, all while studying on Collins street in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD, you’ll be part of the international business community before you leave the classroom.
Law at Monash - Key selling points
We're more than a degree. More than prestigious. More than one of the best law schools in the world. It's not just what you study, but what you take when you leave us that has the most impact.
- 21st century digital moot court
- global legal hackathons
- clinical guarantee - Monash Law offers guaranteed professional work placements for all students who wish to incorporate a practical component credited towards their Monash Law degree.
- top legal educators
- Monash University & King's College - opportunity to graduate with a qualification from Monash University and King's College London
- Industry Seminars
Engineering: The Monash Engineering Co-operative Education Program (Co-op) is designed to equip students with up-to-date, relevant industry experience and prepare them to become engineers of the future. Co-op provides employers with access to exceptional students for paid internships from Australia’s number 1 Engineering Faculty*.
MADA: There’s nothing like the feeling of creating something amazing from scratch. At MADA, you’ve got the tools at your fingertips to make it happen.
MADA has over 30 creative courses to choose from, 10 double degrees, plus you can add subjects from right across Monash University.
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Want to know more about Master of Social Work? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
COVID-19: Support for Current and Prospective Students
We believe in making study abroad a safe, positive experience for everyone. Find out what we're doing to help our users in light of recent coronavirus (COVID-19) developments.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...