MSc Human Nutrition
Our MSc Human Nutrition course is an Association for Nutrition (AfN) accredited program. This means that when you graduate, you're eligible to apply for direct entry to the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists (UKVRN) Register as a Registered Associate Nutritionist (ANutr).
Through this one-year course, you’ll develop the skills and knowledge to work as a nutritionist in both the health and food sectors.
You’ll study the theory behind nutritional sciences, exploring topics from food guidelines to biochemistry to the distribution and control of disease. You’ll also have sessions in our laboratories where you’ll complete practical evaluations.
During practical sessions, we’ll help you to understand the assessments you might conduct as a nutritionist. We use patient case studies, so you might complete a nutritional assessment for a patient with Crohn’s disease or diabetes, or perhaps analyse a person’s diet.
Many of our students complete public health nutrition-based projects for their dissertations, focusing on areas they’re hoping to develop a career in. Recent topics include how diet and calorie intake might affect the efficacy of chemotherapy treatment, and exercise barriers for young women.
You will have a minimum 2:2 undergraduate degree in a bioscience subject. A recent relevant bioscience–based degree is desirable, however students without a bioscience-based degree may be eligible if they can demonstrate a sound underpinning knowledge in the biosciences.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Over the duration of this course, you'll cover the following core units:
- Fundamental Nutrition
- Sustainable Diets
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Nutrition in Practice
- Nutritional Assessment
- Molecular Nutrition and Biochemistry
- Health Promotion
- Food Composition and Analysis
- Dissertation with Research Methods
Scholarships & funding
Manchester Met is offering scholarships of up to £2,500 for high achieving applicants. This scholarship is open to international students who enrol on a full-time postgraduate Masters program and meet the eligibility criteria. The scholarship will be awarded automatically upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £8,500 per year
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £16,500 per year
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £1,417 per 30 credits studied per year.
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits.
From nutrition-related roles within government organisations to working in the media to food industry research and development, there are a variety of career paths you could take as a nutritionist.
You might work in a health setting (such as a hospital) or perhaps set up a consultancy business as a nutritionist, or develop your career within research or teaching nutrition.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University (Manchester Met) is ranked among the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old* demonstrating its commitment to providing excellent teaching and research. It has a proud history dating back to 1824 and is also one of...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...