MA Education Studies
Explore the contested nature of education by considering ideas from the philosophy, sociology, politics and history of education to develop a deeper understanding of the role of education in society.
Our masters course challenges you to think more critically about education.
You’ll consider the nature and role of education in global times, its relation to society and whether it can promote social justice and engagement.
Some of the topics you might critically analyse include place-based education; education and the global economy and gender and race inequality in education.
You’ll study three core units and two option units. The option units give you the opportunity to delve deeper into the areas you’re passionate about.
You might choose to study the Practice Based Project, where you’ll have the opportunity to explore and reflect on practice in an educational setting (from museums to schools) to enhance your own expertise. You could investigate topics such as disability and difference in education and how educational practice could be more inclusive and socially just.
Or if you are interested in childhood and youth, you might conduct a critical analysis of an area of equality and empowerment related to children, professionals or families.
You will have a degree, postgraduate diploma or professional qualification recognised as equivalent to an undergraduate UK honours degree. Other qualifications or experience may be considered. You also need to have experience related to the award area (or taking up employment or similar related to the award area).
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Manchester Met is offering scholarships of up to £2,500 for high achieving applicants. This scholarship is open to international students who enrol on a full-time postgraduate Masters program and meet the eligibility criteria. The scholarship will be awarded automatically upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tution fee for UK and EU students: £8,500 per year.
- Tution fee for Non-EU International and Channel Island students: £16,000 per year.
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits.
- You’ll explore national and global contemporary issues and debates in education.
- Choose option units that reflect your career aspirations and interests.
- You’ll have the opportunity to complete a Practice Based Project, where you’ll explore and reflect on practice in an educational setting.
This masters degree prepares you for an educational role across the public or private sectors.
Through MA Education Studies, you’ll develop critical thinking skills and gain the theoretical knowledge to question existing education practice, and how it could work in the future.
You could develop a career in areas such as social services, education management, education policy, and research.
You might work in education publishing, museum and gallery education, for a charity or in a learning support organisation. Some graduates also go on to pursue careers in related areas, including in journalism, business and financial services.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Brno, Czech Republic