BSc Computer Science
On our Computer Science degree, you’ll get an in-depth understanding of both the theory and technical aspects of computing, with an emphasis on programming, algorithms, data structures, and computer architecture. We’ve designed the course content to meet the needs of the industry, so you can be confident the skills you’re learning are the skills that employers look for.
You’ll begin by studying programming, computing mathematics, web development, computer architectures and databases as you cover the fundamentals of computing, developing your team working and communication skills as you go. Then, as you progress, you’ll tackle more specialised areas, like algorithms, data structures, networks, operating systems and the processes used to develop software in industry.
By your final year you’ll be ready to take on advanced topics like artificial intelligence and the study of different programming language paradigms. Carrying out a large-scale project will give you the chance to hone the skills you’ve learned and put them into practice.
Our BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree also provides the opportunity to spend an extra year expanding your horizons, working on a placement in industry.
This program has the following options:
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years with placement
- A foundation year is also available
UK Students Entry Requirements
Specific Gcse Requirements
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or Level 2 Functional Skills English and
GCSE grade C/4 in Mathematics and
GCSE grade C/4 in Science or BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science with grade meritThe level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.Non Tariffed Qualifications
Pass Access to HE Diploma in IT, Computing or Science with a minimum score of 106 UCAS Tariff points.
Applicants studying Level 4 HNC or Level 5 HND or equivalent qualifications in a relevant IT/Computing subject may be considered for direct entry onto the second year of this course if their study profile meets the course’s second year prerequisites. Direct entry onto the final year of this course is not possible
International Students Entry Requirements
International Baccalaureate Points
26 IB Diploma Points including HL 5 in IT
IELTS Score Required For International Students
6.0 overall with no individual element below 5.5
Applicants studying Level 4 HNC or Level 5 HND or equivalent qualifications in a relevant IT/Computing subject may be considered for direct entry onto the second year of this course if their study profile meets the course’s second year prerequisites. Direct entry onto the final year of this course is not possible.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Manchester Met is offering a scholarship package of £2,000 for every year of study to international students accepted onto a full-time taught undergraduate program that starts in September 2020. If you meet the eligibility criteria, the scholarship will be awarded upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £9,250 per year.
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £16,500 per year.
A 3 year degree qualification typically comprises of 360 credits (120 credits per year).
- The four-year placement route gives you the opportunity to spend your third year on industrial placement boosting your employment prospects on graduation.
- You will experience what it's like to work as part of a professional team finding solutions to complex problems via group projects. You can also get involved with extracurricular work to further apply your skills, for example, hackathons, gaming events and the Students’ Union Computing Society.
- This course shares a common first year with our BSc (Hons) Software Engineering course, allowing you to transfer between these courses after year 1 as you develop your areas of interest.
Our Computer Science degree will prepare you for a wide range of careers in a fast-growing industry. Jobs in computing include software developer, web designer and developer, data analyst, systems analyst and architect, IT manager and technician, as well as roles managing technology to support a range of public and private sector organisations.
In addition, the skills you learn on this degree are highly valued by a range of employers and opportunities may exist in areas such as scientific research, technology consultation, project management, education and many more.
Manchester is a major hub for the digital technology industry. The close proximity of MediaCity and a large number of both established companies and innovative tech start-ups means that the opportunities for technological collaboration are huge. Situated in the “Oxford Road Corridor" innovation district of Manchester, the University and the Department of Computing and Mathematics are perfectly placed to work with key players in the digital technology and new media sectors.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Cedar City, United States of America
Melbourne (Australia), Australia