Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MSc in Public Health
These courses provide students with the knowledge and skills to contribute to the improved health of populations and particular groups within them through the promotion of health and prevention of diseases; the development and evaluation of care practices; and the investigation and control of environmental threats to health. Students are instructed in the development, use and critical evaluation of conceptual models, evidence, methods of analysis, and practical interventions.
These programs provide students with the knowledge and skills to address diverse public health issues in low, middle and high income settings. The varied curriculum allows students to opt for a broad range of knowledge or to concentrate on specialised areas. The program offers four alternative streams; the general Public Health stream and three specialist streams: Environment and Health; Health Promotion and Health Services Management.
Students on this program come from diverse backgrounds. Many are health professionals working at a service or policy level, while others wish to obtain public health skills that they can apply to their work in development, community services, government, research or teaching.
All applicants are required to have:
- a minimum of one year's relevant work experience; and
- a first or second class honours degree or the equivalent, in a subject appropriate to the course, from a university or other institution acceptable to the University of London.
Qualifications from around the world are accepted; for further guidance please see the School's qualifications for entrance. Students who do not satisfy the entrance requirements may still be admitted at the discretion of the School on the basis of their academic qualifications, work experience and references.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students registered for the General stream must select eight modules from the list below (of which at least four must be PHM2 modules) OR complete five from the list (of which at least one must be a PHM2 module) and a final year project.
Students registered for a specialised stream (Health Promotion, Environment and Health, or Health Services Management) must select seven modules from the list below in addition to the stream-specific compulsory PHM2 module (at least three of these seven must be PHM2 modules) OR complete four from the list (of which at least one must be a PHM2 module), the stream-specific compulsory PHM2 module, and a final year project.
- Health Systems
- Analytical Models for Decision Making
- Economic Analysis for Management & Policy
- Economic Evaluation
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Environmental Health Policy
- Health Care Evaluation
- Globalisation & Health
- Managing Health Services
- Medical Anthropology in Public Health
- Organisational Management
- Principles and Practice of Health Promotion
- Conflict and Health
- History and Health
- Sexual Health
- Applied Communicable Disease Control
- Evaluation of Public Health Interventions
- Project Report
- Statistical Methods in Epidemiology
- Bacterial Infections
- Nutrition and Infection
- Healthcare-associated Infection
- Immunology of Infection and Vaccines
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Epidemiology and Control of Infectious Diseases in Developing Countries
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Successful completion of the program may serve as preparation for students who wish to progress to a higher research degree in public health or medicine.
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. This year, LSHTM celebrates 120 years...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- #1 in Europe for research impact in sciences by CWTS Leiden Ranking 2019
- #4 in the world for public health in ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
- #9 in the UK in social sciences and public health by US News Best Global Universities Ranking 2019
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews
Want to know more about MSc in Public Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...