MSc Control of Infectious DiseasesLondon School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
MSc Control of Infectious Diseases
All available course dates
About this program
MSc Control of Infectious Diseases
This is a multidisciplinary programme that bridges the fields of epidemiology, laboratory sciences and public health. It includes the option of choosing modules with a significant practical component and the opportunity to undertake a research project overseas. The programme will train students in all aspects of the control of infectious diseases and prepare them for a career in a range of organisations.
This programme will equip students with specialised skills that will facilitate a career in the control of infectious diseases as staff of health ministries, health departments, national or international disease control agencies, aid organisations or universities.
The majority of the research projects are performed with collaborating public health or research organisations and NGOs. Students are encouraged to take advantage of this overseas opportunity, which is crucial to the nature of the programme.
By the end of this program students should be able to:
- investigate the transmission of endemic and epidemic infections
- select appropriate methods of control
- design, implement and evaluate co-ordinated control methods
- assess constraints of local public health delivery systems
- manage available resources in the context of the control of infectious diseases
- focus their efforts on particular geographical regions or specific diseases
The normal minimum entrance qualification for registration on a Master's program is at least one of the following:
- a second-class honours degree of a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a subject appropriate to that of the course of study to be followed; applicants with a strong academic background in ancillary subjects will also be considered
- a registrable qualification appropriate to the course of study to be followed, in medicine, dentistry or veterinary studies
Applications with an appropriate technical qualification, or equivalent qualification and experience from overseas, are also welcomed.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
After orientation, students take two compulsory modules: Basic Statistics for PHP and Introduction to Disease Agents & Their Control, which focus on the life cycle and characteristics of infectious disease agents according to their principal transmission routes; the principal intervention strategies used to combat infectious diseases; and examples of successes, partial successes and failures in intervention programs against infectious diseases.
In addition, students take one of the following module combinations:
- Basic Epidemiology, and Introduction to Health Economics; and Health Policy, Process and Power (3 modules)
- Extended Epidemiology and Introduction to Health Economics or Health Policy, Process and Power (2 modules)
Terms 2 and 3
Students take a total of five study modules, one from each timetable slot (Slot 1, Slot 2 etc.). The list below shows recommended modules. There are other modules which may be taken only after consultation with the Course Directors.
- Designing Disease Control Programmes
- Malaria: From Science to Policy and Practice
- Health Care Evaluation
- Clinical Bacteriology 1
- Conflict & Health
- Design & Analysis of Epidemiological Studies
- Population, Poverty and Environment
- Statistical Methods in Epidemiology
- Applied Communicable Disease Control
- Control of Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Current Issues in Maternal & Perinatal Health
- Economic Analysis for Health Policy
- Medical Anthropology and Public Health
- Spatial Epidemiology in Public Health
- Vector Sampling, Identification & Incrimination
- Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Health
- Clinical Bacteriology 2
- Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
- Applying Public Health Principles
- Integrated Vector Management
- Neglected Tropical Diseases
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Up to date information on tuition fees can be found on the LSHTM website.
Graduates from this programme enter a diverse range of positions and organisations across the fields of epidemiology, laboratory sciences and public health.
Below you will find just a few of the positions and organisations that our graduates from this course have entered after graduating:
Example job titles:
- Assistant Professor
- Editorial Assistant
- Immunisation Consultant
- Infection Control Nurse
- Malaria Data Analyst
- Operational Researcher
- program Manager
- Public Health Officer
- Public Relations Executive
Message the school
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. LSHTM has a unique range and...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
LSHTM is highly ranked in various university league tables, winning the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2021 in recognition of its response to COVID-19 and pandemic preparedness, as well as being #1 in the UK and #3 in the world for Public Health in the ShanghaiRankings (2021).
Teaching staff are all experts in their respective fields and continue as active researchers, bringing their wealth of experience and up-to-date knowledge directly into the lecture halls and seminar rooms. Many of the staff are well renowned, so students may find themselves being taught by figures they have read about in previous studies.
Want to know more about MSc Control of Infectious Diseases? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!