Social Sciences and Humanities (Including Foundation Year) BA (Full-time)
This four-year course includes a foundation year to prepare you for degree-level study in the social sciences or humanities. This is a great route into an undergraduate degree if you don’t have traditional qualifications or can't meet the entry requirements to study a traditional three-year degree. It is also a way to explore a number of different subjects if you're not sure exactly what you would like to study at university.
At the end of your foundation course you’ll be in a better position to decide which area you’d like to specialise in, be that in health and social care, social work, education, criminology, media, journalism or community development. Providing you attain the necessary entry requirements at the end of this foundation year, you will progress on to Year 1 of one of our social sciences or humanities related degrees.
The foundation year of this course, Year 0, is your chance to encounter a range of topics relating to the social sciences and humanities. The foundation year cohort will be made up of students from other disciplines, allowing you to work closely with people with varied but related academic interests. Core modules for this year include Culture, Family and Power, Critical Thinking and Reflecting on Self and Society.
In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you should have:
- at least one A level (or a minimum of 32 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC Subsidiary/National/BTEC Extended Diploma)
- GCSE English Language at grade C (grade 4) or above (or equivalent)
If you are a mature student with significant work experience, you are invited to apply for this course on the basis of the knowledge and skills you have developed through your work.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Critical Thinking
- Interventions for Change
- Media, Crime and 'Race'
- Reflecting on Self and Society
- Researching Discrimination
- Researching Inequality
- Social Issues in Context: Text to Essay
- Studying London
Modules and module details are subject to change over time.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- UK/EU Students: £9,250 per year
- International Students: £14,000 per year
You'll graduate with a full undergraduate degree with the same title and award as those who studied the three-year course.
Successful completion of the foundation year will enable you to progress onto the undergraduate course of your choice below.
- Community Development and Leadership BSc
- Criminology BSc
- Criminology and Community Policing BSc
- Criminology and Law BA
- Criminology and Psychology BSc
- Criminology and Sociology BSc
- Criminology and Youth Studies BSc
- Digital Media BA
- Education Studies BA
- Education Studies and English Literature BA
- English Literature BA
- Film and Television Studies BA
- Health and Social Care BSc
- Health and Social Policy BSc
- Media and Communications BSc
- Sociology BSc
- Youth Studies BSc
In addition, the following courses may be applied for, but admission will be subject to a test and/or interview:
- Creative Writing and English Literature BA
- Early Childhood Studies BA
- Early Childhood Studies FdA
- Journalism BA
- Journalism, Film and Television Studies BA
- Montessori Early Childhood Practice FdA
- Social Work BSc
- Translation BA
About this institute
London Metropolitan University
Based in England’s historic capital city, London Metropolitan University has a rich history of education with its roots dating back to 1848. Taking its current form following a merger of two well-renowned universities in 2002, it offers a wide range...
Want to know more about Social Sciences and Humanities (Including Foundation Year) BA (Full-time)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic