Game DesignJMC Academy
All available course dates
As gamification becomes an integral part of the future of this world, some of the most in-demand players in the entertainment industry are game developers and visual effects specialists.
Game Design at JMC feeds this drive, providing the skills and knowledge to create fully immersive digital environments. Learn how to design, develop and implement an idea, with emphasis on creativity and expression through concept creation, digital drawing, environment modelling and game-engine implementation.
Get hands-on expertise in leading industry software like Maya and the Unity game engine, and use our 18-camera leading precision motion-capture suites and VR facilities to create interactive game prototypes and quality game assets, and graduate with the skills demanded by leading developers.
The Bachelor degree combines interactivity, game engineering and programming with traditional art practice and animation. Master game-engine scripting and the core technical knowledge required to create interactive game play; design and create animated characters and environments; and develop unique game-play mechanics to build worlds you can lose yourself in.
Students can elect to study character rigging, digital composition and motion capture for real-time games animation and cinematics, and will graduate with a games concept in a process that emulates real-world production and a developed showreel.
In only 2 years you can graduate with a Bachelor degree thanks to our accelerated full-time course. Part-time study is also available to domestic students. International students many choose to complete the course in 3 years rather than the accelerated 2 year option.
International undergraduate applicants must show the following:
- Proof of English proficiency: minimum IELTS 6.0 overall (with no single band score below 5.5) or equivalent.
- Evidence of successful completion of a senior Secondary School certificate (transcripts and certificate must be translated and certified). For further information please see our 'Entry Requirements by Country'
- Attend an interviewin person or over skype.
- You must be at least 18 years of age on commencement of studies.
- Contemporary Music applicants must undertake an audition. Audition videos/online links are accepted for applicants living overseas or interstate.
- Songwriting applicants may undertake an audition OR submit a folio. The folio can consist of song lyrics, charts, recorded original songs or other relevant items as discussed with the admissions officer.
- Animation, Games and Digital Design applicants are required to prepare a portfolioof sample work/drawings.
Applications will be accepted until 2 weeks before the course commences, but please note that visa applications can take considerably longer than two weeks to process. Please contact the Australian Embassy in your home country for recommended timeframes for processing your visa application.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Production Art I
- Creative Process
- Game Programming I
- Introduction to 3D
- Game Design I
- Game Programming II
- Game Art II
- T3 Electives: Rigging and 3D Modelling II
- Game Development Lab I
- Rapid Prototyping
- Game Design II
- Game Art I
- Game Studies
- T2 Electives: Production Art II, Motion Design & Design
- 3D Animation I
- Motion Capture (Elective)
- Game Development Lab II
- Major Project Part A
- Professional Development
- Major Project Part B
- Cross Institutional Project
In trimesters 2, 3 & 4 one unit per trimester is selected from elective options which may include:
- Production Art II - for students wishing to focus more on art and character design (concepting, design and art direction for animation and games).
- Design - relevant to all visual creatives (digital concepts and user experience design).
- Motion Design - motion graphics, colour and design for the moving image.
- Rigging - technical art for students interested in setting up characters for animation.
- 3D Modelling II - digital sculpture for students interested in character creation and studying the human form.
- Motion Capture.
- Compositing – combining layered elements into finished shots, CG & live action integration, projection mapping and tracking.
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the institute website.
- Domestic Students: $9,000 per trimester
- International Students: $11,300 per trimester (Total tuition fee: $67,800)
Careers in the Industry
The positive impact of gamification is increasingly being used in a diverse range of roles as a method of communication. Aside from the billion-dollar gaming industry, JMC graduates find work in education and training, planning, corporate business, advertising and many other sectors.
Hit the ground running with a full suite of gaming development tools, from practical hands-on experience, knowledge of all the leading gaming software, strong design capabilities and a savvy and adept gaming portfolio that shows off your skills.
Specific roles may include
- Game Designer
- Game Producer
- Creative Director
- Level Designer
- Concept Artist
- Texture Artist
- Environment Artist
- Character Artist
- Technical Director
- Interface Artist
- Story Writer
About this institute
Established in 1982 by John Martin Cass, JMC Academy was originally founded in Sydney to meet the demand for qualified professionals in the entertainment technology industry. From day one, JMC Academy broke ground as Australia's first private college to qualify...
Why study at JMC Academy
At JMC Academy we are focussed on providing opportunities for students to create, connect and develop their craft in a supportive community. We keep our class sizes small so that we can get to know each students' aspirations, strengths, weaknesses and creative voice. Our small course offering of specialist creative industries disciplines means we can regularly update and refine our courses and tech to be future-focussed and relevant to industry developments. Our international network of like-minded institutions ensures we can benchmark our programs against international standards, ensuring our students are able to enter the workforce with confidence wherever in the world they go.
Want to know more about Game Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Honolulu, United States of America
San Diego, United States of America