Summer Schools of Science and Research programmes at ITMO University offer an opportunity to dive right into your area of interest and connect with an international group of peers, adding some serious rocket fuel to your education, research and career opportunities. Some of the examples of short-term programs are:
NanoFuture SCAMT Workshop Week (Applied Chemistry)
Duration: 1 week (June 24-30, 2020)
NanoFuture SCAMT Workshop Week (NSWW) is a brand new format of summer schools. During the workshop, you will work on your own project in one of the most modern fields of nanotechnologies and get practical professional skills.
NSWW is a great opportunity not only to challenge yourself in a new sphere but also to deepen your knowledge in your research field.
The list of possible projects:
- Create luminescent spider silk
- Synthesize nanodrugs
- Become a top-teacher
- Study the energy of life-biofuel cell
- Rule the microbial community, etc.
Besides practical project, you will have an opportunity to learn about new applications of nanotechnologies in the modern world: from Nanopharmacy and inkjet printing to Microbiology and Green Chemistry.
Summer School in Nanofiber Synthesis and Research
Duration: 2 weeks (June 17-28, 2020)
The summer school in Nanofiber Synthesis and Research 2020 welcomes students to undertake a two-week-long training at ITMO’s Science and Research Center of Bioengineering.
During the summer school, students will be offered a wide range of lectures on producing nanofiber with the method of electro-spinning. During practical classes, participants will acquire experience in working with the NANON device, learn to assert conditions of synthesis and prescription parameters for producing different kinds of nanofiber. In order to better research various characteristics, produced nanofiber will be studied with the help of up-to-date methods: Fourier-transform spectroscopy, thermal analysis complex, thermogravimetric analysis, DSC.
Research Summer Camp in Photonics
Duration: 2 weeks (May 25 - June 5, 2020)
Summer camp focuses on both the training of a new generation of experts in the solid field of photonics as well as further research into practical applications of efficient and secure data storage and computing.
Research topics covered in the framework of the camp
- THz generation from laser filamentation in the different liquids
- Numerical simulation of the z-scan method.
- Estimation of the coefficient of cubic nonlinearity of liquids in the THz frequency range according to the theory of vibrational character
- Numerical simulation of cell optoporation by femtosecond laser radiation (Matlab)
- Estimation the complex dielectric constants of tissues applying Debye model in the THz frequency range (Matlab)
- Numerical simulation of biomedical imaging by applying nanoparticles (software environment Nierfast)
- Technologies of display holography: hologram recording and processing
- Application of digital micromirror devices for holography and wave front manipulation
- Diffraction phase microscopy for cell morphology investigation
- Single photon sources and detectors
- Subcarrier wave quantum communication
Summer School in Scattering Problems in Photonics
Duration: 5 days (6 - 10 July, 2020)
Fast internet, telecommunications, precise medical diagnostics, ultrasensitive sensors, and solar energy become possible largely due to the development of optical technology and photonics giving us a deep understanding of the interaction between light and matter. Among others scattering phenomena often play a key role in different physical processes. In the scopes of the Summer School, the world's best experts will give lectures grouped into a 5-day course on modern theoretical and experimental aspects of scattering in photonics. The course will start with the fundamentals and will cover the latest achievements as well. The practical classes will help you to get the skills necessary for conducting own scientific research in this new exciting area of physics.
That this year the School will be organized in a scope of the Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference to be held next week after the school. School participants will be able to attend all the presentations, plenary lectures and exhibitions organized within the Conference.
Research Summer Camp in Optical System Design
Duration:4 weeks: 2 weeks of distant learning (June 1-15, 2020), 2 weeks of on-campus learning (July 1-12, 2020)
The camp incorporates a list of 13 topics in optical system design and includes both theoretical classes and hands-on experience of using special optical design software that can be applied for developing a wide range of optical instruments and devices.
List of possible research topics:
- Design of a two-mirror optical scheme of a telescope’s objective
- Design of a catadioptric scheme of a telescope’s objective
- Design of a telescopic system with lens inverting system
- Design of a telescopic system with prism inverting system
- Design of a microscope’s objective
- Design of a photo objective with fixed focal length
- Design of a system for laser beam collimation
- Design of a system for laser beam concentration
- Design of an objective for the LWIR region
- Design of a condenser lens
- Design of an eyepiece
- Design of a microscope’s illumination system in microscope
- Design of a lens endoscopic system
Bachelor’s level students in respective fields (4th year and above) Master’s and PhD students
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
NanoFuture SCAMT Workshop Week (Applied Chemistry) - EUR 300
Summer School in Nanofiber Synthesis and Research - EUR 300
Research Summer Camp in Photonics - EUR 300
Summer School in Scattering Problems in Photonics - EUR 280
Research Summer Camp in Optical System Design - EUR 700
About this institute
ITMO University Saint Petersburg
ITMO University in St. Petersburg is a recognized leader in optics, photonics and IT. Over the past few years, it has developed from a specialized technical institute into a trailblazer shaping the national education and research policy in Russia. We...
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews
Want to know more about Summer Schools of Science and Research? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.