Computer Science and Business Management
The Master's in Computer Science and Business Management (MCSBM) is, first of all, the extension of the first cycle degree in Computer Science and Business Management.
Furthermore, it offers a moving path for students external to ISCTE-IUL, coming from the first cycles of the areas such as Computer Science, Information Management, Computer Engineering, amongst others.
The MCSBM consolidates the ability to incorporate and apply knowledge from two ISCTE-IUL areas of excellence – Management Sciences and Information Science and Technology. This Master's offers a strong link with the needs of the surrounding business sectors, through the permanent contact of students with this reality, especially in the 2nd year. There is a stimulus towards the development of projects or dissertations brought about by research challenges applied to the resolution of current business problems. This is done through an ongoing update of syllabuses and the adoption of adequate methodologies, always aiming at a practical application of concepts.
This course is mainly directed to graduate students (1st cycle) who have or wish to acquire hybrid skills in the areas of Computer Science, Information Systems and Management. Therefore, it is also aimed at graduates who, having completed the 1st study cycle in the areas of Computer Science or Engineering, wish to complement their undergraduate studies with Management Sciences skills. It offers, as abovementioned, the possibility of a stirring professional-wise development path for students external to ISCTE-IUL, who have concluded the 1st cycle in the areas of Computer Science, Information Management, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, amongst others.
The MCSBM offers a practical and specialized training in the domains of Information and Communication Systems and Technologies, considered in an integrated manner in their organizational, technological and human/social dimensions. It is given a special focus to analytical skills (including the ability to structure, reason and synthesize large amounts of data) and communication skills (such as the ability to accurately and clearly expose unstructured information). The Master's in Computer Science and Business Management aims at preparing postgraduates who:
- Consolidate the knowledge of instrumental nature offered by the 1st cycle training, acquire new practical skills resulting from the development in the domain of the IS/ICT and, at the same time, methods and techniques which enable them the exercise of a professional activity in the context of application, diversification and innovation;
- Are able to apply the acquired IS/ICT skills and the abilities of problem identification and solution rooted in the deep understanding and strategic comprehension of actors involved in change management processes for unfamiliar situations that appear in their areas of study, research or of professional activity, as well as in broad or multidisciplinary related contexts;
- Have the ability to assimilate knowledge (namely theoretical, methodological and empirical, from different technological, organizational and human sources and perspectives), combine research with action towards the planned and participated of change processes, deal with complex issues, develop solutions and formulate opinions in situations of limited or incomplete information, including pondering scientific, technical and ethic relevant questions.
- Are able to work in teams and communicate their analyses and conclusions, as well as the underlying knowledge and reasoning, both to information technology and organization experts and to non-experts, in a clear and unambiguous manner;
- Know how to use the advantages of comprehending and applying conceptual models, methodologies and technologies, with a clear perception of the organizational context and the advantages of progressive immersion in that context, through experience gained within a project aided by academic elements provided by our external partners;
- Have developed skills which enable them to continue their lifelong learning in a fundamentally self-oriented and self-centered manner. • have acquired knowledge and skills which may represent a solid basis for the possible pursuance of advanced studies, namely in the line of 3rd cycle (PhD) university training in information systems.
Information regarding COVID-19
Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, the Portuguese government has temporarily closed all schools and universities from March 12th 2020.
In light of this, ISCTE - Instituto Universitário de Lisboa will be suspending face-to-face classes and offering all programs remotely instead. For more information about this, please contact the university.
For more details visit University website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The master has a very high employment rate, with nearly 100% of our graduates finding a job placement within 2 months after completion of their degree.
Our graduates are in high demand from consulting companies in the areas of management, information technologies and auditing (computer science and management), both from national and multinational companies. There has also been a high demand from telecommunications and utilities companies. Some of former students have also followed more entrepreneurial challenges, as is the trademark of ISCTE-IUL (e.g. AUDAX-ISCTE).
Or main job placements are in the following professional sectors:
- Consulting companies in the areas of management and process auditing.
- Consulting companies in the areas of information technologies and computer technology auditing;
- Business consulting companies, application development and IT / outsourcing services;
- Telecommunications companies;
- Utilities Companies;
The Master in Computer Science and Business Management is composed by 120 credit units and has the duration of two years. The 1st year comprises 10 curricular units, equivalent to 60 credit units and the 2nd year also corresponds to 60 ECTS, of which 54 are allocated to the Dissertation or project work in Computer Science and Business Management, and the remaining 6 ECTS to a curricular unit of Research Methodology.
Full tuition fee for EU students: 3600 EUR
Full tuition fee for Non-EU students: 5000 EUR
About this institute
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business School, School of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Master's degree in Computer Science and Business Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Detroit, United States of America