This undergraduate programme provides training - that can be deepened in the Master and PhD programmes in Political Science (PS) and International Relations (IR) – that comprehends, in fact, a highly technical component, whether in its more theoretical nature (curricular units: political theories, compared political systems, political parties and pressure groups, systems and electoral behaviours, citizenship and political culture, public opinion and politics, state and public administration, etc.), in its more instrumental nature (research laboratories, methods and research techniques, statistics and data analysis), or still at the level of complementary scientific areas (history, law, economics, etc.).
The target audiences of this programme are all interested in understanding and studying political phenomena, and having the objective of future employability in some of the areas shown below as the (potential) "career opportunities".
In general terms, the third cycle degree in CP is designed to prepare graduates who:
- Demonstrate a general understanding of Political Science and knowledge of its main concepts, theories and methods, and of some of their specialised fields, such understanding and knowledge should be acquired through advanced and updated manuals of this area of knowledge (or equivalent basic texts) and, in some ways, informed by recent advances in the discipline;
- Are able to apply this knowledge and understanding so as to reveal a professional approach to politological work, and have the skills to sustain reasoning and solve problems in this area of study and work;
- Have the ability to collect, select and interpret relevant information, particularly in the field of Political Science, enabling them to substantiate the recommended solutions and issued judgments, taking into account the scientific, technical, social and ethical issues involved;
- Can communicate information, ideas, problems and solutions, both among political scientists as to the public, constituted by non-specialists in this area;
- Have skills to continue learning throughout life with a high degree of autonomy;
- Have acquired knowledge and skills that constitute a solid basis for further and more specialised studies at the university level in Political Science, namely in "Master degree in Political Science" and "PhD in Political Science and International Relations" or similar (including "Sociology", in "Public Administration" or "Public Policies"). "
About this institute
ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon
Founded in 1972, the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL) is one of the most prestigious public universities in Portugal, particularly focused on postgraduate studies and scientific research. It is organized in four schools: ISCTE Business School, School of Sociology and...
Want to know more about Bachelor's degree in Political Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.