MSc in Applied Accounting and Finance (MScAAF)Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
MSc in Applied Accounting and Finance (MScAAF)
The MSc in Applied Accounting and Finance (MScAAF) is a master's degree programme in Hong Kong that integrates applied knowledge and skills in accounting and finance to train professionals who will be at home in both fields. The programme emphasizes real, practical international cases. Students acquire an in-depth understanding of and updated knowledge in both accounting and finance. This makes the programme suitable not only for accounting and finance professionals, but also for managers and executives in other business areas.
The MScAAF curriculum itself is flexible in providing students with the options of completing the programme in 1 year full-time mode (3 trimesters, 2 to 4 courses in each trimester) or 2 years part-time mode (5-6 trimesters, 1-2 courses in each trimester). The required courses for both part-time and full-time modes are identical.
Classes are held at HKBU Kowloon Tong campus on weekday evenings and/or weekend afternoons. All the courses are taught by the faculty with relevant academic and professional qualifications and experience to provide the most updated information about the development in accounting and finance.
Applicants should possess:
- a Bachelor's degree with honours in Business from a recognized university or comparable institution, or a professional qualification deemed to be equivalent (e.g., a professional qualification in accounting or finance field such as CPA/ACCA from designated accounting bodies, CFA from Institute of Certified Financial Analysts, CMA from Institute of Management Accountants, etc.); OR
- a Bachelor's degree in other disciplines with relevant experience and/or training in Accounting, Finance, Management or related fields;
full-time mode applicants are required to provide a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); OR
part-time mode applicants are required to have a minimum three years of relevant working experience;
Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degrees were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. A minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5 or TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) / 79 (internet-based) or the equivalent score of other tests is normally required for those applicants.
Short-list qualified applicants would be invited to attend an admission interview as part of the selection process.
Students with non-Business degree and lack basic training/experience in Accounting, Finance or related fields may also be qualified, conditional to a make-up of the accounting and finance fundamentals through an intensive foundation course at their extra cost or the guided self-study before the commence of the MScAAF.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students are required to take 11 courses. There are 8 core courses, 2 courses and 1 non-unit bearing course (a total of 30 units) to be offered by either department. Hence students can opt for concentrating more on either accounting or finance electives in light of their academic and working background and their needs for obtaining more knowledge and training in accounting or finance field. (The list of the electives may be expanded later as the programme develops and more resources become available). Under special circumstances, students may take a guided independent study or an integrated project concentrating on the application of both accounting and finance knowledge as the alternative for only one elective course if approval in advance is granted.
- ACCT 7210 Advanced Corporate Financial Reporting
- ACCT 7220 Strategic Management Accounting and Controls
- ACCT 7230 Issues on Internal and External Auditing
- ACCT 7240 Accounting Theory and Policy
- FIN 7210 Corporate Finance
- FIN 7220 Investment and Portfolio Analysis
- FIN 7230 Financial Strategy
- FIN 7260 Financial Statement Analysis & Business Valuation
Elective Courses (select any two)*
- ACCT 7270 Corporate Governance and Disclosures
- ACCT 7870 Financial Regulations and Compliance
- ACCT 7880 Governance, Leadership and Ethics
- ACCT 7910 Hong Kong and International Taxation
- ACCT 7920 Commercial and Company Law
- FIN 7240 Derivative Securities and Risk Management
- FIN 7750 Financial Technology (FinTech)
- ISEM 7210 Business Processes and Information Management
- ACCT 7280 Independent Studies / integrative Project (in Accounting)*
- FIN7280 Independent Studies / integrative Project (in Finance)*
Non-Unit Bearing Course
- BUS7510 MScAAF Seminars and Workshops
* Not all the elective courses listed above will necessarily be offered each year.
* The independent studies/integrated project can only be selected to replace an elective course under special circumstance and advance approval is required.
Medium of Instruction
English is the official medium of instruction.
Scholarships & funding
International Postgraduate Scholarship
To enhance internationalization and provide students with a global educational experience, the International Postgraduate Scholarship is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,800). Eligible international applicants will be automatically considered for the scholarship based on their all-round record and interview performance.
Diversity Contribution Scholarship
We believe that diversity inspires new thinking, fosters greater understanding and enriches the learning experience. The Diversity Contribution Scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme. Applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, including international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents. The scholarship amount ranges from half tuition waiver to full tuition waiver.
Entrance Scholarship / Young Talent Scholarship (for full-time applicants only)
These Scholarships, range from HK$80,000 to HK$20,000, will be provided to students with outstanding academic backgrounds and public examination results. Applicants will be considered for the scholarships automatically. For the Entrance Scholarship, applicants who submit completed applications before the deadline of the first round admission will be considered.
Excellence Academic Performance Award
Student(s) who obtain the highest cGPA in the class will be awarded at the time of graduation.
Local students: HK$160,000
Non-local students: HK$220,000
Note: Tuition fees are subject to annual review.
About this institute
Study Business and Finance Programs in Hong Kong Since 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has provided innovative business education to students from across the globe. The School of Business has achieved recognition from the three largest and most influential...
Want to know more about MSc in Applied Accounting and Finance (MScAAF)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic