About this program
Master of Accountancy (MAcc)
The Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme aims to equip bachelor’s degree graduates with the necessary accounting knowledge and skills to pursue a career in professional accounting and to provide a learning environment to develop students for executive positions in accounting area in Hong Kong and the Greater China region. Our faculty and students, originating from a mix of countries, cultures, academic and professional backgrounds, are vital contributors to our rich and diverse communities and perspectives.
Planning for Professional Accounting Examinations
- Students are equipped with solid knowledge base for professional examinations.
Being an Ethical Accountant
- Nurturing students with ethical decision making and corporate social responsibility.
Opportunities to Work in Hong Kong
- Non-Hong Kong graduates of this programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
Accounting Internship Opportunities
- This programme provides curriculum-related internship to students who will receive concrete training in Accounting industry.
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised tertiary institution; or
- Holders of a qualification deemed to be equivalent.
Initial selection will be judged on the basis of results in official academic transcripts, proof of English proficiency and relevant supporting documents. Shortlisted and qualified candidates will be invited to attend an admission interview together with a written test for further assessment on their English proficiency and attitude.
English Proficiency Requirement:
Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degree were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. These applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for English proficiency:
- A score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in TOEFL; or
- An overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS.
Note for Applicants:
Applicants bear the responsibility to confirm with HKICPA that their Bachelor’s degrees are recognized in meeting the student registration requirements of the HKICPA QP before applying for admission to the MAcc programme.
Expecting Bachelor’s degree holders who will acquire the requisite academic qualification before the programme commencement may also apply for admission.
Both business and non-business degree holders must satisfy the Pre-core programme requirements prior to their completion of the MAcc programme. The Pre-core programme includes courses on Accounting, Economics, Information Systems, Management and Statistics. Applicants should have demonstrated in their official academic transcripts that they possess fundamental knowledge in these areas. Students may also satisfy the Pre-core programme requirements by taking equivalent courses in other recognized programmes. Participants with deficiencies in any of these courses must take, at their extra cost, the prescribed Pre-core courses (which are no credit-unit courses with pass/fail option) to satisfy the competency requirements for admission to the HKICPA QP. The offering of pre-core courses by the Department is subject to the demand of admissions.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The MAcc programme aims to equip students with the following:
- Knowledge: Students will develop knowledge of organisations, their management, and the global environment in which they operate.
- Analysis: Students will be analytical and critical thinkers and be able to solve business problems.
- Ethics: Students will have fundamental knowledge in professional ethics as well as business and company law.
- Research: Students will have an understanding of the accounting theory and the latest developments in accounting practice.
This programme requires the completion of 7 core courses (equivalent to 21 units) and 5 elective courses (equivalent to 15 units). In addition, all students must satisfy the pre-core programme requirements.
- ACCT7610 Advanced Financial Accounting
- ACCT7620 Auditing
- ACCT7630 Business and Company Law
- ACCT7640 Cost and Management Accounting
- ACCT7650 Financial Management
- ACCT7660 Taxation
- ACCT7860 Accounting Theory
- ACCT7510 Advanced Financial Reporting
- ACCT7520 Advanced Taxation
- ACCT7530 Contemporary Issues in Business Assurance
- ACCT7540 Corporate Financing
- ACCT7760 International Taxation
- ACCT7810 Securities Regulation
- ACCT7850 Contemporary Strategic Management of Accounting Issues
Note: The MAcc programme office reserves the right to offer or not to offer any of the elective courses.
Pre-core Programme Courses
- P.C.7001 Accounting
- P.C.7002 Economics
- P.C.7003 Information Systems
- P.C.7004 Management
- P.C.7005 Statistics
- P.C.7006 Marketing for Accountants
- P.C.7007 Intermediate Accounting
You can complete our MAcc either within one year full-time or two years part-time.
Medium of Instruction
English is the official medium of instruction.
Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Exemption of 10 modules from HKICPA New Qualification Programme
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Exemption of 9 papers from ACCA
- Fast-tracked to becoming CPA Australia associate member
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Exemption of 11 papers from CIMA
The Association of International Accountants (AIA)
- Exemption of 12 papers from AIA
Scholarships & funding
International Postgraduate Scholarships
The International Postgraduate Scholarships (IPS) scheme at HKBU School of Business is a global initiative designed to nurture future business leaders, bringing together highly-talented and intellectually-motivated students from around the world to one of the selected taught postgraduate programmes. Although these young achievers come from diverse backgrounds, they have all demonstrated leadership potential and have a common interest in making a difference in the world.
MAcc Diversity Contribution Scholarships
This scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme based on criteria like their international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents.
MAcc Entrance Scholarships
MAcc Entrance Scholarships offer students with distinguishing qualifications and/or academic backgrounds from a high world-ranking university in his/her undergraduate studies and achieving satisfactory academic results in HKBU MAcc programme.
Outstanding Academic Performance Awards
MAcc students who have obtained the highest cGPA and attained a cumulative GPA of 3.67 to 4.0 at graduation will be nominated for an award and certificate.
Other Scholarships, Awards and Sponsorships
- Course Scholarships to students with outstanding academic performance in the course.
- Competition Winning Awards to students who have won the competition or have been awarded a cash prize by the professional accounting/business organisations or bodies.
- Professional Education Awards for part-time students.
- MAcc Pre-core Course Scholarships for part-time students.
- Professional Accounting Examination Awards for part-time students.
- Sponsorships for overseas study tour.
- Sponsorships for overseas summer exchange programmes.
Continuing Education Fund (CEF)
The MAcc programme has been included in the reimbursable course list of CEF. Local students could be reimbursed for a maximum sum of HK$20,000, on successful completion of one or more reimbursable modules forming part of the programme.
Non-means Tested Loan
Local students are eligible to apply for the Non-means Tested Loan Scheme provided by the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency of HKSAR. For details of the application procedures.
For more information about scholarships, please contact HKBU School of Business.
Local students: HK$200,000
Non-local students: HK$250,000
Each pre-core programme course: HK$5,000
Note: Tuition fees are subject to annual review.
For Full-time mode students, tuition fee will be paid in 3 installments
For Part-time mode students, tuition fee will be paid in 6 installments
MAcc graduates work for some of the world’s largest companies in a wide range of industries. Some employment highlights of MAcc recent graduate are as follows:
- Accounting / Finance 73%
- Engineering 3%
- Education / Training 9%
- Government 6%
- Sales / Marketing / Advertising 3%
- Others: Banking, Life Science 6%
- Total 100%
- Hong Kong 46%
- Mainland China 52%
- Others 2%
Employers (partial list)
- Bank of China
- BDO LLP
- China Construction Bank
- Ernst & Young
- Grant Thornton
- Hang Seng Bank Limited
- HKSAR Government
- Patrick Wong CPA Limited
- Shinewing CPA Ltd
Message the school
About this institute
Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
Since 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU), School of Business has provided innovative business education to students from across the globe. HKBU School of Business has achieved recognition from the three largest and most influential business school accreditation associations. The...
Why study at Hong Kong Baptist University / HKBU
A few reasons to study at HKBU School of Business:
- HKBU School of Business is based in one of world’s most important financial centres and is strategically located to effectively address major global trade and business developments.
- Along with the HKBU mission focusing on Whole Person Development, the School focuses on holistic business education. Students are equipped with employable skills, because of which graduates are highly regarded by employers.
- There are many programmes for students to choose from, including a BBA programme and 14 postgraduate programmes, ranging from master’s level to PhD.
HKBU School of Business is recognised worldwide as:
- The only business school in Hong Kong and among the 1% of schools worldwide to be accredited by AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS.
- The longest-established publicly funded business school in Hong Kong, established in 1956 and having an alumni network of over 20,000.
- A Top 25 Asia-Pacific Business School (Financial Times in 2018).
- A Top 15 Young University in Asia (QS World University Rankings for the last five years).
- HKBU ranked 60th in the world (Times Higher Education World University Impact Rankings in 2019).
Want to know more about Master of Accountancy (MAcc)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Melbourne (Australia), Australia