About this program
MA Performance Making
This unique international laboratory programme brings diverse individuals into collaborative research, acknowledging the challenges of creating original, performer-driven theatre in today's complex, globalised culture.
Why study MA Performance Making at Goldsmiths?
- Studying at Goldsmiths gives you access to all the cultural stimulus that London offers, allowing you to enhance your practice and develop compositional, critical, technical and management skills and strategies for forging independent and self-motivated careers. Our graduates work as practitioners, teachers and cultural leaders worldwide.
- The Masters will help you conceive, research, construct and deliver your ideas, and articulate what motivates them. You will study with distinguished international artists and scholars. The emphasis throughout will be on encouraging collaboration across disciplines and cultures, and on contextualising practice within its social, political and architectural environment.
- Youll undertake physical training, scenographic/environmental exploration, and hands-on introduction to technologies (lighting, video and sound), to support your composition and artistic experimentation. You will identify your own practice within the historical and contemporary field, and write critically and creatively.
- Youll archive your practice digitally, and will have developed a portfolio of projects by graduation. You will receive professional development guidance from theLive Art Development Agency (LADA)and theInstitute for Cultural and Creative Entrepreneurship (ICCE)at Goldsmiths.
- You will have access to a wide international network of organisations, commissions, venues and festivals, and will study both at Goldsmiths andArtsAdmin.See a full list of artists associated with the programme as permanent and guest tutors.
"The MA Performance Making at Goldsmiths attracts artists from all over the world seeking to develop their skills, creativity, pragmatics and independence. Taught by distinguished professionals, it encourages original, collaborative research into new forms, new imperatives and new contexts for live performance. As such it makes an invaluable contribution to the culture of performance."
You should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class standard in a relevant/related subject.
You might also be considered for some programmes if you arent a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Find out more aboutthe qualifications we accept from around the world.
If English isnt your first language, you will need an IELTS score (orequivalent English language qualification) of6.5 with a 6.5 in writing and no element lower than 6.0to study this programme. If you need assistance with your English language, we offer a range ofcourses that can help prepare you for postgraduate-level study.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Creditsctical Study: Scenography
- MA Performance Making Dissertation
- Contextual Theory
- Composition A
- Composition B
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Local students - full-time: £8990
- Local students - part-time: £4495
- International Students- full-time:£16950
Graduates work in a wide variety of professional contexts globally as commissioned performance makers, directors, project leaders, programmers, teachers, and academic researchers.
The programme has launched international production companies and collaborations whilst the many organisations employing them include:
- Station House Opera
- Marie Gabrielle Rotie Productions
- The Clod Ensemble
- The Royal Court Theatre
- The Gate Theatre
- The Globe Theatre
- Goossun Art-Illery
- Northern Stage
- The Royal National Theatre
- The Beijing Academy
- Bernie Grant Arts Centre
- Hackney Empire
- Greenwich Dance Agency
- The Convenors Company
- Athletes of the Heart
And a range of international commissions and festivals including Edinburgh Festival and Brighton Fringe.
What some of our alumni are doing now
Message the school
About this institute
Goldsmiths, University of London
With an academic legacy dating back to 1891, Goldsmiths has a rich heritage in the arts and creative disciplines and offers degrees in subjects from the humanities and social sciences to computing and law. Students at Goldsmiths are encouraged to...
Why study at Goldsmiths, University of London
At Goldsmiths we're constantly exploring, questioning and reshaping the world. You can challenge yourself through our innovative degrees and world-leading academics that will inspire you to see the world differently.
At Goldsmiths you’ll change how you think and be inspired to develop fresh ideas and new approaches to your studies. We champion degrees that provoke thought and stretch the imagination. That’s why so many of our former students are leading the way in reshaping the sociocultural landscape on a global scale.
Want to know more about MA Performance Making? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!