Biotechnology - HealthGeorgian College Applied Arts and Technology
Biotechnology - Health
All available course dates
About this program
Biotechnology - Health
Students are prepared for a career as a lab technician in a biomedical field. Experimental techniques and use of scientific equipment across a variety of disciplines including biology, chemistry and physics will form the basis of the program. Both the theoretical and practical aspects of this discipline are equally emphasized. Upon graduation, students will be able to perform a wide array of experiments and assays to answer clinically-related and scientific problems.
OSSD or equivalent, with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U)
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology (C or U)
- Grade 12 Chemistry (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing.
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered for admission.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Cell Biology
- Human Physiology 1
- Chemistry for Biotechnology
- Physical Measurements
- Human Physiology 2
- Biomedical Laboratory 1
- Organic Chemistry 1
- Biomedical Laboratory 2
- Organic Chemistry 2
- Analytical Chemistry
- Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Tissue Culture and Histology
- Immunology and Genetics
- Quality Assurance
Tuition fee: $16,507.67 CAD
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- complete all tasks in compliance with pertinent legislation and regulations, as well as biotechnology standards and guidelines;
- apply quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organizational standards and guidelines;
- apply best practices for sustainability;
- complete biotechnological applications using principles of chemistry, biology and biostatistics as well as basic principles of physics;
- use appropriate laboratory procedures to carry out quantitative and qualitative tests and analyses;
- carry out standard cell culture procedures under aseptic conditions;
- carry out molecular biology procedures;
- assist with the management of biological data to support biological scientists and researchers in capturing, organizing/summarizing and storing their data;
- prepare, maintain and communicate scientific data effectively;
- develop and present a strategic plan for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance;
- find solutions to problems related to health and medicine using biotechnology procedures and data analysis;
- apply basic entrepreneurial strategies to identify and respond to new opportunities in biotechnology.
Students graduating from this program will possess a wide array of skills related to the analysis of chemical and biological samples. Graduates will also be able to work at academic and clinical institutions in the context of supporting research labs and education of post-secondary students while performing analysis of biological samples in both public and private settings.
Message the school
About this institute
Established in 1967, Georgian College (Canada) is a public college with 125+ market-driven programs offered to over 13,000 full time students including about 4,500 international students from 60 countries. Its 100-acre flagship campus, located in Barrie, is just an hour...
Want to know more about Biotechnology - Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!