Autism and Behavioural Science
Providing compassionate and state-of-the-art care to those with Autism and their caregivers is what the Fanshawe Autism and Behavioural Science program is all about. Your expertise upon graduating will have a direct influence on people’s lives, making their world a better place.
Not only that, but your expertise will also be in demand. The significant escalation of the incidence rate for autism (estimated at 1 in 165 children) has created a shortfall in the number of specialists who can deliver quality services. Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to help fill this shortfall with your advanced knowledge of autism, and awareness of effective intervention techniques with two field placements and academic study.
Child and Youth Care College Advanced Diploma
Early Childhood Education College Diploma
Social Service Worker College Diploma
Developmental Services Worker College Diploma
A Degree in Social Sciences
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- Applied Behaviour Analysis Intro
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Specialized Instructional Strategies
- Working With Families & Teams
- Ethics & Professionalism
- Field Placement 1
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- Behavioural Skill Building
- Parent & Staff Training
- Treating Challenging Behaviours
- Transition Planning & Implementation
- Field Placement 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Autism and Behavioural Science is also offered online.
Designed for working professionals looking to gain more knowledge and further their education to support people with special needs. The new online format provides a more flexible schedule that allows the opportunity to complete the graduate certificate in under a year while still working.
The tuition fee for Canadian students is 1,995.70 CAD, and the total fees are 2,749.08 CAD.
The tuition fee for International students is 7,596.00 CAD, and the total fees are 8,955.36 CAD.
For more detailed information about fees, please visit the institute webpage.
Credential - Ontario College Graduate Certificate
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to
- Assess and analyze the characteristics, skills, and behaviour of individuals with ASD to effectively implement evidence-based behavioural interventions.
- Design and implement effective behavioural intervention plans under appropriate supervision and based on the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA).
- Evaluate the effectiveness of behavioural intervention plans based on the principles of ABA.
- Work collaboratively with families, teams, service providers, and the broader community to respond to the learning and behavioural needs of individuals with ASD.
- Design, implement, and evaluate as part of a team, ABA based transition plans for individuals with ASD.
- Comply with established ethical principles and professional guidelines
- Provide leadership in the promotion and provision of services to meet the needs of individuals with ASD and their families.
- Evaluate empirical evidence in order to select appropriate interventions for individuals with ASD.
Autism Services and Children's Services, including Instructor Therapists, private providers of Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI), Autism Specialists in service agencies and school boards to deliver programs for individuals with Autism.
About this institute
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada - approximately two hours from Niagara Falls, Toronto, or Detroit. There are 21,000 full-time students at Fanshawe, including 7,500 international students from more than 100 different countries. Fanshawe...
Want to know more about Autism and Behavioural Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Graduate diploma / certificate
Chicago, United States of America
Summer / Short course
Berkeley, United States of America
Carson, United States of America