About this program
Undergraduate Degree in Nutrition Science
The Egas Moniz Higher Institute of Health Science (IUEM) Undergraduate Degree in Nutrition Science stands apart due to the strong investment in teaching that is focused on the nutritional clinical practice. As such, there is strict collaboration with the IUEM Nutrition Consultation, with the aim of offering students an intense observational clinical practice focused on the community’s reality right from the first years of their undergraduate degree. This collaboration with the Nutrition Consultation allows students to be in contact with teachers in their specific field of practice for about 50 hours per month. In order to intensify the students’ medical practice, open sessions with the academic community are organised periodically, where medical cases of interest in the field of nutrition are presented and discussed.
The interconnection between the undergraduate degree and the Egas Moniz Medial Genetics and Paediatric Nutrition Centre - CGMNEM enables the Nutrition Science students to be in touch with and take part in cutting edge research through the acquisition of laboratory and medical experience in high-level national and international projects, as well as contact with the community and taking on an important role in the “struggle” against the menace of child obesity.
The possibility of taking part in external initiatives for being in touch with the community through workshops focusing on nutritional screening is a reality nowadays, as more and more institutions of varying types request that our students take part in such initiatives.
In this section you will be able to obtain information on the applications and admission to the Degrees (1st Cycle) and Integrated Masters.
The Second Cycle Masters, Postgraduates and others have specific application conditions and access calendars, so you should consult the page of this respective courses.
Who can apply?
CANDIDATES IN INSTITUTIONAL CONTEST:
- Holders of a high school course or legally equivalent qualification and who have undergone entrance exams to higher education.
- Holders of a foreign high school course and who wish to apply under the Article 20-A of Decree-Law no. 296-A / 98, of September 25. These candidates will have to apply for equivalence to continue their studies, together with a High School, and after the assigned equivalence should go to the premises of the DGES to request the substitution of entrance tests, through article 20-A.
CANDIDATES IN SPECIAL CONTEST:
- Over 23 years old.
- Students with university attendance (change of course, transfer or re-entry).
- Holders of Higher Education, Medium and Diplomas of Technological Specialization.
CANDIDATES IN SPECIAL REGIME:
- Portuguese Diplomatic Mission Abroad.
- Portuguese foreign scholarship holders or government officials abroad.
- Officers of the Portuguese Armed Forces.
- PALOP Fellows.
- Foreign diplomatic mission accredited in Portugal.
- High-performance athletes.
- Of East Timor.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Functional Anatomy
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Fundamentals of Biological Chemistry
- Food History and Sociology
- Assessment of Dietary Intake
- General Biochemistry
- General Physiology
- Food Microbiology
- General Microbiology
- Human Diet and Nutrition I
- Food Biochemistry
- Metabolic Biochemistry I
- Applied Physiology
- Human Diet and Nutrition II
- Metabolic Biochemistry II
- Pharmacology Applied to Nutrition Science
- General Pathology
- Dietary Supplements
- Food Toxicology
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Paediatric Nutrition
- Food Systems and Health
- Field Work
- Legislation, Standardisation and Quality Control
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Sports Nutrition
- Pathology and Food Therapy I
- Public Health
- Catering and Management
- Community Nutrition
- Ethics and Deontology
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Pathology and Food Therapy II
- Food Policy
Total ECTS: 240
The main goals of the Course are expressed in the Consensus Document (DC) "Competências do 1º Ciclo em Ciências da Nutrição", elaborated in 2006, by the 3 main institutions that, at that time, granted the Degree in Nutrition Sciences - which included the Higher Institute of Health Sciences Egas Moniz - and their respective professional associations.
In this document, the emphasis is on the qualification of graduates in the vast and diversified area of Nutrition Science, promoting the acquisition and development of skills required for professional performance in their different fields of activity.
At the end of the Course, the graduate should be able to integrate and apply the principles derived from biology, physiology, social and behavioral sciences and those from the nutrition, food, management and communication sciences, to achieve and maintain the state of health of individuals through a constantly improving professional practice (DC).
- Pursue a career in clinical nutrition and in this case, you can work in hospitals, clinics or focus on having your own practice. Pursue a career in community nutrition and public health, practicing in Regional Health Administrations, health care centres, family health units, city halls.
- Pursue a career in the field of Food Hygiene and Safety, playing an important role in controlling the quality of food when manufactured (food industry), the way it’s served (companies, restaurants, canteens, and others) and also the way in which foodstuffs are distributed to the consumers (large supermarkets, specialised retail).
- Take part in the creation of new foodstuffs.
- Pursue an academic career, continuing your education in second and third cycles that are specific to the various fields.
- Pursue a career in sports nutrition, working in gyms, health clubs and others.
- Focus on food marketing or food policy.
- Pursue a career in scientific research in various fields, being able to take part in national and international research projects in the field of food and/or nutrition.
- Pursue a career as a consultant in several areas.
Message the school
About this institute
Egas Moniz, Cooperativa de Ensino Superior
Egas Moniz is well recognized for its excellence and innovation on higher education. Being certified in accordance with the ISO 9001:2008, we focus on on training health care professionals, being a centre for social responsibility, heavily implanted in the local...
Want to know more about Undergraduate Degree in Nutrition Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic