About this program
Product and Furniture Design BA (Hons)
Develop your ability to think creatively across the boundaries of product and furniture design and develop innovative design solutions.
This Product and Furniture Design course will encourage you to make bold challenges to convention. You’ll study the functional and market-led requirements of product and furniture design, usability, manufacturing and aesthetics.
Specific areas include visual language, branding, user-centred design, computer-aided design (CAD), 3D design and modelling, and design cultures. You’ll learn about sustainability and examine the development of socially conscious products that, through their technical specification, reduce waste and conserve energy.
A good portfolio and normally:
- Art and Design Foundation or
- 112 points from at least 2 A-levels and including grade C in Art and Design or
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM in an Art and Design related subject or
- International Baccalaureate: 26+ Points including Art and Design
- Plus five GCSEs grades 9-4 including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above.
Alternative qualifications include:
- Pass Access with 30 Level 3 credits at Merit in Art and Design and GCSE English (Language or Literature) at grade 4 or above
We will normally require students to have had a break from full time education before undertaking the Access course.
- We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning, is available both before and throughout the course if you need it.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The Principles of Design
- CAD for Product Designers 1
- Visual Communication
- Design for Manufacture
- Design Cultures 1
- Workshop Practice
- Design Practise 2
- CAD for Product Designers 2
- Advanced Visual Communication
- Advanced Design for Manufacture
- Design Cultures 2
- Product Communication and Career Launch Marketing
- Product Design - Personal Project
- Product Design - Student Design Competitions
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Message the school
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Why study at De Montfort University
- Ranked 20th for Graduate Prospects (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
- In the top 10% of institutions overall recognised by the Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings 2020
- TEF Gold Award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework – the only government-endorsed measure of teaching quality in higher education.
- Campus of the Future - DMU has invested £136m in transforming its campus, creating new green space in Leicester and using renewable energy technology. Four of the largest campus buildings generate renewable energy via more than 1,110 solar panels, and a wood biomass boiler cuts out the need to burn fossil fuels.
- 2030 Climate Action - More than 100 students and staff have taken part in carbon literacy training to understand how choices like transport, clothes, overseas travel and food impact the planet. DMU and the University of Leicester have teamed up with Leicester City Council to deliver the training in city schools. DMU has halved its carbon dioxide emissions since 2005.
Want to know more about Product and Furniture Design BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Detroit, United States of America