English Language with Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) BA (Hons)De Montfort University
English Language with Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) BA (Hons)
English Language with TESOL at DMU allows you to combine the study of English Language with the key theoretical and practical issues involved in the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
The course is designed to enable you to develop your own ability to teach English to non-native speakers whilst enabling you to think about how language in general and English in particular functions in the world today. You will study linguistics, grammar, the evolution of the English language and a variety of writing styles, while also exploring the theory of how to teach English as a second language.
You will develop a set of linguistic and analytical skills, which will help you become a highly-skilled communicator. In the final year you will have the opportunity to put your theoretical knowledge into practice with our work placement module.
- 104 points from at least 2 A'levels
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM
- International Baccalaureate: 24+ Points
GCSEs - Five GCSEs at grade A*-C including English Language or Literature at grade C or above or equivalent.
Access - Pass QAA Accredited AHE Diploma with at least 15 credits in Creative Writing, English Language or Literature at grade Merit and GCSE English (Language or Literature) at grade C or equivalent.
We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English at grade C or above or equivalent.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council accredited Centre for English Language Learning
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Words in Action: An Introduction to Grammar and Linguistics
- Evolving Language: An Introduction to the Histories of Language
- Foundations in English Language Teaching for International Learners
- Approaches to Reading and Writing
- Introduction to the Novel
- Exploring Creative Writing
- Modern Language 1
- Grammar: Analysing linguistic structure
- Semantics: Analysing linguistic meaning
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Research Methods for Linguists
- Varieties of English Language Teaching for International Learners
- English Language in UK Schools
- Language in Context
- Pragmatics in the Real World
- Text Technologies
- Writing Place
- Modern Language 2
- English Language Dissertation
- English Language in the Workplace (Placement Module)
- Language Acquisition
- Language, Mind and Culture
- Powerful Language: An Introduction To Rhetoric
- Perception, Persuasion, Power: Communication and Control
- Corpus Linguistics
- English Language for Specific and Professional Purposes
- Textual Studies Using Computers
- Professional Writing Skills
- Modern Language 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
2021/22 tuition fees
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £14,250 per year
- EU students: Check the website for more information
Our graduates have strong linguistic, reasoning and analytical skills, making them highly employable.
The degree is specifically designed to broaden students' employment prospects by equipping graduates with the necessary skills to work and live in environments where English is not the only language spoken.
About this institute
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) in England welcome hundreds of European students every year for one of our 300 courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. We have approx. 25,000 students studying in our 4 faculties; Business & Law; Health &...
Want to know more about English Language with Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Honolulu, United States of America
St Andrews, Scotland
St Andrews, Scotland