Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor in International Tourism Management
Who is a tourist? Why do they visit particular destinations? How can we create sustainable practices and places? We are looking for students who question the way the world works. We are looking for students who want to know how tourism can help people, what tourism can do for communities and what the challenges for the future of tourism are. Students from all over the world and from any background are welcome to apply.
The focus of the program is to provide students with the knowledge to succeed. We do this by offering a balanced combination of theoretical knowledge and applied practical examples. Students will work with destinations to plan for the future; they will visit heritage sites and think about how these sites present themselves to the public; and they learn through real examples of research being undertaken in Sweden, Europe and the rest of the world. We also expect all out students to go on exchange – what better way to experience tourism than by travelling and learning as part of your studies?
- General entrance requirements for study at university level
- Mathematics B/Mathematics 2a or Mathematics 2b or Mathematics 2c
- Social Sciences A/Social Sciences 1b or Social Sciences 1a1 + 1a2
- English B/English 6
- No knowledge of Swedish is required
If you are interested in working at an international level within the tourism industry or with sustainable tourism, then you are strongly encouraged to apply. Our graduates work in a variety of fields in positions such as regional tourism officer, event organiser and management consultant.
For more information, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Research and Knowledge for the Social Sciences, Tourism Studies
- Tourism Principles and Practice, Tourism Studies
- Organizational Theory, Business Administration
- International Economics, Economics
- Management Accounting, basic, Business Administration
- Tourism and Society, Tourism Studies
- Festival and Event Management, Tourism Studies
- Tourism Marketing, Business Administration
- Products and Resources for Tourism, Tourism Studies
- Experience Management and Marketing, Tourism Studies
- Sustainable Destination Planning and Development, Tourism Studies
- Tourism Studies abroad (or courses at Dalarna University)
(Students are expected to study abroad at one of partner universities in the EU or outside in order to gain additional cultural and educational experience).
- Qualitative Research Methods, Tourism Studies
- Quantitative Research Methods, Tourism Studies
- Applied Project Work in Tourism, Internship
- Event Studies, Tourism Studies
- Special Interest Tourism, Tourism Studies
- Bachelor's Degree Thesis in Tourism Studies
- First Tuition Fee Installment: 46 540 SEK
- Total Tuition Fee: 264 040 SEK
EU/EEA Citizens or exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in one-semester installments and the first payment (46 540 SEK) must be paid no later than June 1. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application. The remaining 5 semesters cost 43 500 SEK each.
Scholarships & funding
scholarships are only available in the second year of studies, based on excellent study results during the first year of studies.
Upon completion of the program, students will graduate with a Degree of Bachelor of Science, Main Field of Study: Tourism Studies.
This program aims to prepare students to critically understand tourism as both an industry and a phenomenon. Students will be able to independently and critically work with social, cultural and management-related issues within tourism and destination development. Upon completion of the program, the student shall be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of tourism and destination development from different disciplinary perspectives.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the role of tourism in society from a regional, national and international perspective.
- Articulate an understanding of the core business practices required by tourism enterprises.
Competence and skills
- Identify and analyse issues that are specific to the tourism industry.
- Demonstrate an ability to make use of quantitative and qualitative research methods in order to gather data that allow for informed decision-making.
- Engage critically with tourism phenomena and issues in order to both provide solutions and recognize opportunities for tourism stakeholders.
Judgement and approach
- Practice sustainable and ethical tourism.
- Provide insights into the role tourism plays in society and into processes of globalization and development, including issues such as sustainability and climate change.
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize and implement future research and life-long learning for tourism stakeholders and individuals.
According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, travel and tourism accounts for 8 percent of the world's jobs and has the highest potential for growth of any industry. International travel alone constitutes more than 840 million tourists annually.
The economic, social and environmental impact of tourism is both significant and vital to the creation of sustainable jobs and improvement in quality of life. If you enjoy working with people, then the dynamic and ever-growing tourism industry will provide you with tremendous opportunities to work in positions such as:
- Tourism Market Manager
- Travel Agent
- Hotel Manager
- Regional Tourism Centre Manager
- Conference and Events Manager
- Marketing Director
- Attractions Operations Manager
About this institute
Dalarna University is a small, modern university located in the beautiful province of Dalarna in central Sweden. The provincial landscape offers wonderful opportunities for exploration in stunning natural surroundings. The university has two campuses in small towns Falun and Borlänge....
Why study at Dalarna University
Sweden ranked #3 study abroad country
Sweden has been ranked the #3 study abroad country in Europe for 2020! With a high English language proficiency and the headquarters of companies like H&M and Spotify, Sweden was also ranked #1 in Europe for students who want to achieve their career goals.
Want to know more about Bachelor in International Tourism Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...