Medicinal Chemistry (Research)
Medicinal Chemistry is a research area within which you can focus your studies as part of our suite of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences research programs (MPhil, MD, PhD).
Our aim is to offer knowledge and expertise for a career in the pharmaceutical industry, academia or in primary/secondary care.
Medicinal Chemistry is a dynamic group, highly active in the synthesis and analysis of bioactive molecules. The Group occupies modern, well-equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art in-house facilities which include high-field multi-nuclear NMR, mass spectrometry, HPLC and molecular graphics.
- Molecular modelling
- Nucleotide prodrugs (“Protides”) especially as anticancer and antiviral agents
Area of expertise
- Computer-based molecular graphics
- synthesis and analysis of bioactive molecules
- applying a wide variety of spectroscopic and other analytical methods.
- The work involves close collaboration with virologists and biochemists throughout Europe, and USA.
- The School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences has excellent facilities for the group. It has purchased a Bruker 500MHz NMR spectrometer, a Fisons Platform II Mass Spectrometer (set up for electrospray and APCI) and several Silicon Graphics workstations and extensive software including Sybyl, Macromodel, DOCK, GRID and Oxford Molecular Software. The synthetic chemistry laboratories have recently been refurbished and each researcher has their own fume hood.
- There are excellent library facilities and computer links from all the laboratories allowing access to a wide range of databases.
Chat live with students from Cardiff University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Cardiff University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Full time tuition fee for Students from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man: £10,500
- Part time tuition fee for Students from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man: £5,250
Please visit the website for information about tuition fees
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Medicinal Chemistry (Research)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
St Andrews, Scotland