Medical Engineering (International) (Year in Industry) (MEng)Cardiff University
Medical Engineering (International) (Year in Industry) (MEng)
The Cardiff Medical Engineering program is one of the most established in the UK, and is perfectly suited to anyone wishing to combine classical engineering training with a medical application.
The aim of the course is to produce a highly competent engineer who can pursue a career in clinical engineering, bioengineering or engineering fields outside medicine.
An added advantage of this MEng Medical Engineering (International) course is that one semester is spent studying engineering through the medium of English in a partner university overseas. There are currently more than 65 destination universities on four continents.
This course includes the opportunity to take a year of industrial placement between your second and third years of academic study. With this option we will support you in finding a placement that will allow you to experience at first- hand, a professional working environment. If you are successful in securing a placement you will be paid a salary and will enhance your employability skills through direct experience of working in business, industry or the public sector.
The MEng allows you to use the last two years to expand and strengthen your knowledge in medical engineering. You will benefit from advanced learning in design and management and an appreciation of the techniques needed to manage and organise a multidisciplinary engineering design project.
Teaching is by a dedicated team of research-active academic staff, and there are also some lectures by colleagues from Cardiff School of Biosciences, School of Medicine and Cardiff & Vale NHS Trust.
Other Cardiff University Medical Engineering courses include a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of medical engineering if you choose a BEng course.
The distinctive features of the course include:
- Fast-track route to Chartered Engineer status
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution served by staff rated highly in the last Research Excellence Framework
- The facilities that come with a successful research unit
- Many academic members of staff who are Chartered Engineers
- Accreditation from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- The opportunity to engage with professionals from a wide range of specialisms such as orthopaedics
- An open and engaging culture between students and staff
- One semester is spent studying abroad
- The opportunity to follow a sandwich year in industry
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2020/21 academic year. The final modules will be published by September.
Chat live with students from Cardiff University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Cardiff University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Typical A level offer
AAA - AAB including Mathematics. If you are studying a science A level, a pass in the practical element (where applicable) will be required. Please note, General Studies will not be accepted.
Extended Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Engineering Applications
- Network Analysis
- Professional Engineering
- Engineering Analysis
- Materials and Manufacture
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering 1
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering 2
- Computing 1
- Engineering Analysis and Computing 2
- Biomechanics 1
- Control and Instrumentation
- Solid Mechanics and Dynamics
- Manufacturing Systems Design
- Industrial Training
- International Experience
- Engineering Applications
- Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- Medical Electronics 1
- Solid Mechanics
- Fluid Power and Control
- Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering
- Medical Image Processing
- Clinical Engineering 2
- Applied Numerical Methods in Engineering
- Integrated Building Design
- Mechatronics Design
- Forensic Bioengineering
- Fundamentals of Nanomechanics
- Quality and Reliability
- Theory and Applications of the Finite Element Method
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Tuition Fees for UK and EU students is £9,000
Tuition Fees for students from outside the EU is £21,950
What skills will I practise and develop?
This course is currently undergoing accreditation via the Engineering Council, as it is a new course. The core competencies required for UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) are integrated throughout the taught years of the course.
Through lab work you will develop practical skills focused on the application of a range of engineering principles to real-life technological, regulatory and ethical problems.
You will also:
- Develop an appreciation of how to bridge the disciplines of engineering and medicine/clinical sciences
- Enhance your communication skills, both orally and in writing through a series of reports and assignments
- Develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to solve multidisciplinary problems in a engineering context
- Enhance your team-working skills, ability to exercise original thought and good professional judgement
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Medical Engineering (International) (Year in Industry) (MEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America