About this program
The Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education program is committed to promoting excellence in learning and teaching for health professionals. It is for all medical, dental and other health professionals who aim to professionalise the role of the clinician as teacher.
This one year, full-time course, leads to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education.
This course recognises the diverse, complex and challenging contexts of both those new to educator roles and responsibilities and those with considerable years of experience. The overall aim of the course is to develop a community of educators committed to promote improvements in both ‘what’ and ‘how’ we teach future healthcare professionals.
The course is highly practical and aims to model best practice in learning and teaching and draws upon a wide range of innovative approaches to learner support and development. A comprehensive series of face-to-face modules will enable you to contribute to critical dialogues that promote deeper insights into educational theory and principles applied to clinical practice. This allows ample time to reflect on your own practice and to share experience and new insights with colleagues.
The course is suitable for all health professionals who have teaching, assessment, and related educational responsibilities, such as teachers, trainers, educational supervisors, course coordinators, clinical and college tutors. Applicants should hold an initial degree from an approved University, or other qualification/proof of educational ability. In your application you will need to demonstrate your interest/involvement in learning and teaching in healthcare contexts.
You will also need to provide a personal statement that is relevant to your application. Tell us why you wish to follow this program, what benefits you expect to gain from it, and what skills and experience you possess that make you a suitable applicant. Please supply your statement as a PDF (500 words) and include the following questions as headings:
- What experience do you have as a health professional?
- Why do you wish to follow this course?
- What experience do you have of teaching as a health professional?
- What current involvement in teaching within your health profession do you have?
English Language Requirements
IELTS with at least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in all other subskills or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please check the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
Core modules for year one
- Learning and Teaching in Clinical Education
- Educational Media and Technologies
- Assessing Learning
- Evaluating Courses
- Contemporary Issues in Medical Education
- Practical Teaching Project
- Educational Research Skills
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Full-Time tuition fees
- UK students: £9,700
- International students: £12,500
Part-Time tuition fees
- UK students: £4,850
- International students: £5,900
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
The overall aims of the course are to help you:
- Critically appraise both your own and others’ practice as clinical educators and educational leaders to enhance learning and teaching relationships with colleagues/trainees
- Synthesise concepts in order to further enhance knowledge and understanding to initiate educational developments responsive to clinical education needs and challenges
- Develop an ability to engage with research, scholarship and practice and deal with complexities, contradictions and gaps in the current evidence base
More specifically the course aims to:
- Develop and formally recognise experience, skills and leadership in clinical education
- Provide an understanding of educational theories, methods and practice across the clinical professions that inform current educational practice.
- Promote critical self-awareness and reflection on educational practice to inform educational change
- Develop educational skills as a clinical educator and educational leader
- Illustrate your understanding of concepts by designing, planning and delivering learner-centred sessions employing a range of educational strategies/principles
- Achieve an understanding of how to create effective change in healthcare education
- Provide skills to design, develop and critically analyse educational media and technologies in order to enhance the learning-teaching process.
- Promote a critical evaluation of the purpose, design, application and interpretation of a range of assessment methods available to clinical educators
- Develop the educational skills required to provide constructive feedback to learners.
- Develop the knowledge and skills needed to be an educational evaluator in clinical contexts
- Develop the skills required to design, implement and evaluate an educational event with coherence, integration and relevance
- Provide an understanding of the philosophical orientations of educational research and a range of research methodologies to enable the selection and utilisation of appropriate strategies to design and conduct educational research
Health professionals have joined the course from around the world. Many graduates use the insights gained on the course to introduce innovations to their day to day teaching, whilst others go on to higher level roles and responsibilities to lead and promote excellence in learning and teaching at national and international levels.
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 154th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about Medical Education (PgDip)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!