Applied Environmental Geology (Taught)
Professional geologists working in consultancies, regulatory authorities and government environmental agencies are required to apply a wide range of transferrable skills to their jobs. Candidates who are able to demonstrate skills in public engagement, communication, professional research and report-writing, in addition to academic knowledge and field skills, are therefore highly sought after in these professions.
This full-time MSc Applied Environmental Geology is part taught and part professional project. We aim to develop your transferrable skills in a professional context and give you a head start in the geology profession of your choice or starting a PhD.
- Our location in South Wales provides us with a wide range of highly relevant geoenvironmental and geotechnical locations, which we visit during fieldtrips and use in case studies.
- Embed your skills in professional practice through a five month professional project, usually as part of a placement.
- Strong links with industry and government agencies ensure the quality and relevance of the course, and give you the opportunity to make contacts.
- Fully integrated with the professional development (CPD) lecture programme of the Southern Wales Group of the Geological Society of London.
The programme is suitable for applicants that hold a minimum 2:1 degree or equivalent, in Earth Science, Environmental Science, Mining, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and related subjects.
Achieve an English Language qualification that meets minimum requirements for this programme of IELTS with 6.5 overall and at least 5.5 in each sub-section.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2020/21 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2020.
For the first seven months, from September to April, you will complete taught modules and fieldwork at Cardiff University. After this, you will progress onto a 5-month placement in the UK or overseas where you will undertake a professional project and complete your dissertation.
- Contaminated Land
- Environmental Assessment and Regulation
- Transferable Skills
- The Initial Conceptual Ground Model (ICM)
- Project Planning, Design and Delivery for Applied Environmental Geology
- Water in the Geological Environment
- Engineering properties of geo-materials and the principles of geotechnical engineering and design.
- Dissertation AEG
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
The full tuition fees for UK & EU Students is £9,700.The tuition fees for Students from outside the EU is £21,950
What skills will I practise and develop?
On completing the course you should be able to:
- Describe and explain the core scientific principles and concepts of soil/rock mechanics, water flow, and the pollution of soil, water and air.
- Identify the standards, regulations, policies and legal frameworks required for the professional practice of applied environmental geology.
- Research and write a professional site report of a geo-environmental hazard using primary sources and GIS techniques.
- Design and execute a geotechnical, geophysical, hydrogeological and geoenvironmental site and laboratory investigation, analyse the data and develop remedial solutions for geoenvironmental problems.
- Communicate effectively (both written and orally) in multi-disciplinary teams, act ethically and in conformity with health and safety regulations, and assess the sustainability of policies and projects.
- Demonstrate understanding of the geotechnical, geochemical and hydrogeological factors that must be considered in investigating and providing solutions to a wide range of problems that exist in Applied and Environmental Geology.
- Demonstrate an awareness and knowledge of; health, safety, scientific, technical UK standards, legal and commercial issues relevant to professional practice as an Applied Geologist.
- Undertake an historical desk and remote sensing study of a previously industrialised site and develop a conceptual ground model of that site to aid redevelopment and planning.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the nature and geochemistry of contaminants found in ground and surface waters, soils, landfill sites, abandoned mines, and atmospheric pollution.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the engineering properties and behaviour of rocks and soil with reference to ground stability issues, geohazards, construction and industrial mining legacy.
- Show an understanding of the appropriate ground investigation and geophysical techniques to apply to any particular site investigation.
- Demonstrate systematic understanding of the hydrogeological and geological parameters that determine groundwater character and flow.
- Demonstrate high-level skills in risk-based assessment of remediation strategies for a range of contaminated land categories and end uses.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessment procedures and the regulatory legal framework applied in Law in the UK.
Our graduates are widely sought after in industry and often have an advantage in the job market, due to the applied nature of the course and the transferrable skills they have been equipped with.
Following this degree you may choose to work in consultancy, regulatory authorities or government environmental agencies across the world. You may also decide to conduct further research and complete a PhD.
Former students can be found working for the likes of Network Rail, Mott McDonald, Natural Resources Wales, Environment Agency England, WSP, Ove Arup, Atkins and numerous other specialist geo-environmental consultancies and agencies based around the UK.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Applied Environmental Geology (Taught)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...