Master of Science Leisure and Tourism Studies
People have more and more leisure pursuits to choose from. As a result, Leisure and Tourism are increasing in complexity. That's why we offer an academic master's program which builds on the knowledge and expertise from different disciplines.
We are the first university of applied sciences in the Netherlands offering an academic master's program. In this program we look at Leisure and Tourism from the perspective of urban studies, policy and innovation management. You will work on three important research themes: Storytelling & Consumer Experience, Imagineering & Business Innovation and Place-making & Events.
Chat live with students from BUas
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Breda University of Applied Sciences? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
For admission to this academic master program an academic bachelor's degree is required. In case you do not have a bachelor's degree obtained in the Netherlands, our Admissions officer will evaluate if your bachelor's degree can be considered a professional or an academic bachelor degree, compared to the Dutch educational system. The level of your research skills and theoretical background will be thoroughly evaluated, because an academic Master's program needs a higher starting level than a professional bachelor diploma delivers.
English language requirements
You will also be required to demonstrate sufficient results of one of these tests:
- CAE, Cambridge Advanced Certificate with a minimum sub score for Speaking of 169
- CPE, Certificate of Proficiency in English with a minimum sub score for Speaking of 169
- IELTS test (minimum overall band score of 6.5, and minimum subscore of 6.0 for speaking)
- TOEFL test (minimum score of 90 internet-based, and minimum subscore of 20 for speaking)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The program consists of two phases. The aim of the first phase is to provide context in the form of master's courses. In the second phase you will work on providing your own content to the field in the form of your master's thesis.
This program covers 12 months and is made up of two main phases:
Phase 1 Master's Courses on leisure in a network society
All five master’s courses in this first phase will have a dynamic set-up in the sense that they are positioned within the context of Leisure in a network society. The master’s courses centre on the two main current research programs in Leisure and Tourism: Experiences & Storytelling and Place-making & Events.
- Leisure, Creativity and Space
- Understanding Leisure and Tourism Attractions and Events
- Imagineering as Strategic Design in Leisure Organisations
- Experience Marketing in Leisure and Tourism
- Analysing Leisure Interactions
Phase 2 Master's thesis
To ensure a smooth progression from the course and content phase - phase 1 - to the thesis phase - phase 2 - you will first attend the Seminar Leisure Studies to select and elaborate a thesis topic. A structured process leads to the finalisation of your individual thesis proposal. This proposal culminates in a research thesis on a theme which has scientific and societal relevance.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
In the academic year 2020-2021 the the statutory tuiton fee is €2,143.
In the academic year 2020-2021, students who
- have the Dutch nationality, the nationality of another country that is part of the EEA, or the Surinamese or Swiss nationality and
- have not already obtained a master's degree from a government-funded program in the Netherlands at the start of the academic year.
pay a tuition fee of €2,143.
If this does not apply to you, you pay the institutional tuition fee. In the academic year 2020-2021 the institutional fee is €12,248.
After your graduation you are entitled to the degree of Master of Science.
Completion of the Master of Science Leisure and Tourism Studies will offer you a range of career opportunities.
- Leisure Management:
- management of theme parks, sports centres, events, leisure venues, theatre management and marketing, tour operations
- Leisure Policy:
- public policy advisor for local and national government, project development analyst, sports policymaker
- Leisure Research:
- researcher in public and commercial research organisations and universities
- Leisure Education:
- lecturer at universities of applied sciences and research universities
About this institute
Breda University of Applied Sciences
Breda University of Applied Sciences is a medium-sized, government-funded higher education institute. More than 7,000 Dutch and international students from some 100 countries are studying at our institute. We offer bachelor’s and master’s programme at professional and academic level in...
Why study at Breda University of Applied Sciences
Studying abroad is a very good experience. You learn about other cultures and gain a greater understanding of the world.
Want to know more about Master of Science Leisure and Tourism Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain