Master in Design through New MaterialsELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
Master in Design through New Materials
All available course dates
About this program
Master's Degree in Design through New Materials
The Master in Design through New Materials focuses on design and innovation, sustainability and creativity through new materials. An experimental and transdisciplinary course that values material design as a ground-breaking working field.
Everything around us is materials. They are at the core of innovation, being defined at the early decision of design development, generating an impact that influences industry, society and even cultural values. Material-driven innovation allows for new initiatives being developed, more sustainable solutions found, and more creative design processes put into place. TheMaster in Design through New Materialswill allow you to create new opportunities through new materials and design and define how our future is built.
We aim to generate a new breed of ‘materials design specialists’ in transdisciplinary fields, providing a working knowledge and active mastery.
Official university degree or equivalent in design, engineering, architecture or art.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Materials in Context, Material Narratives — Culture and Forecasting
- Materials Foundations — Science and Technology
- Materials in Use — Materials in Action, Materials as Form
- Materials Innovation — Research and Futures
- Materials Experimentation — Experimenting and Developing and DIY
- Materials Industry and Sustainability — the Future of Fabrication
- Materials Languages, Materials Interaction — Materials as Form, Surface and Emotion
- Materials Strategies — Communication and Market Placement
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the school website for more information.
Tuition Fee: €12.500
Master's Degree in Design through New Materials. Awarded by UVic-UCC.
ECTS credits: 60
The Master's Degree in Design through New Materials is structured for students to acquire, develop and exercise and specific abilities and competences, which cumulatively encompass the necessary skill-set to design, develop, optimize and efficiently communicate a project in terms of both materials-driven innovation, process based production and design solutions.
- Be able to analyse future socio-cultural scenarios and contextualise new materials in a global context.
- Be able to select and apply materials, technologies and manufacturing processes in design and the specific nature of the development processes.
- Acquire the skills for the ideation of applications of new materials.
- Be able to evaluate sustainability aspects and environmental impact of materials for industry application.
- Be able to experiment with new materials and related technologies in order to produce new material applications, new material developments or new material languages.
- Be able to generate families of colour and trim as well as materials languages applied to brand and market placement.
- Be able to generate a sound narrative and strategy in order to successfully position a material within the market or sector.
- Be able to recognize the potential of new business models associated to the materials and related technologies being generated.
Message the school
About this institute
ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
ELISAVA, Barcelona School of Design and Engineering, promotes education, knowledge and research in the fields of design, engineering and communication. With more than 50 years of experience, it has trained more than 17,000 students and it has established itself as...
Why study at ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
If you want to study engineering or design, this is your home.
Of course, you're not just going to study here... you're going to discover theories and tendencies, you're going to question pre-established ideas, you're going to experience new ways and build alternatives. We will give you the best tools to achieve it; your creative energy sets the pace.
You are our present and the future. We want to empower your abilities, lead you and connect you with the professional environment to enable your dreams so that they come true. We believe in a better world and we believe we can transform it. We're ready.
Want to know more about Master in Design through New Materials? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!