Sport Business Management
The one-year Sport Business Management Ontario College Graduate Certificate program prepares you for an exciting career in the ever-growing, multibillion-dollar sport industry.
Interact with industry professionals in Canada`s capital, where there are variety of professional sport franchises and more national sport-governing bodies than any city in Canada. Leading industry experts share their insights about and experience with the tools and strategies for success in sport business management.
The program builds on basic business operations such as finance, economics, sales and marketing applied specifically to the sporting environment. You develop knowledge and skills to:
- drive revenue through ticket sales and corporate sponsorship
- strengthen interaction and engagement with audiences through digital analytics and digital marketing
- support safe sport initiatives, equity, diversity and inclusion in sport
- manage the sporting event experience for a variety of audiences
- prepare for employment in a wide variety of sport agencies including: major professional sport teams; national sport organizations; community teams; e-sport leagues; or running your own sport-related business
Through field placement opportunities with professional, national and local sport organizations, you gain networking and work experience to help start your career in the sport management world. Through a capstone project, you use business plan development skills as you work in teams with a Canadian sport industry partner to prepare a bid proposal for hosting a major sporting competition.
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma or Degree or equivalent.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 22.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Have a passion for sport.
- Possess excellent time-management skills.
- Are well-organized, energetic and enjoy working with people.
- Have interest in planning and executing sport business initiatives.
- Are motivated to lead.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Sport Management
- Sport Financial Management
- Driving Revenue in Sport Applied Project
- Communication in Sport
- Sport Tourism
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Economics
- Marketing Sport
- Major Games and Bid Planning
- Field Placement 1
- Sport Policy
- Sport Analytics
- Legal and Ethical Issues of Sport
- Corporate Sport Sponsorship
- Field Placement 2
- Digital Marketing and Entrepreneurship in Sport
- Current Issues and Trends in Sport
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Graduate Certificate
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop ongoing strategies and plans to enhance personal and professional growth as a leader in the sport business industry. Leverage technology and research to analyze data in support of business decision-making, and opportunity identification.
- Apply accounting and financial management skills to the analysis and management of a sport organization.
- Communicate information in multiple formats suitable for a variety of audiences to support sport business management and operations.
- Research and develop strategic marketing plans that meet the needs of a sport business or organization.
- Develop sponsorship programs/packages that support the goals of a sport organization.
- Develop and implement customer service and selling strategies to meet the needs of sport business stakeholders.
- Manage a sport organization in accordance with the legal and ethical standards, and governance practices of the sport industry profession.
- Coordinate and apply human resource management strategies to optimize staff and volunteers` contributions to a sport organization, enterprise or event.
- Develop business plans for bidding on and hosting sporting events using sport tourism and event management best practices.
- Use evidence-based strategies to mitigate risk and promote positive experiences in the sport industry.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may be employed in a wide range of sport management activities: event planning; sales; marketing; facility management; and, business administrative positions within professional sport, national and provincial sport governing bodies, public agencies, community recreation departments, sporting goods companies, sport marketing agencies, sport agent operations and athletic service organizations.
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Sport Business Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Los Angeles, United States of America
Graduate diploma / certificate
California, United States of America
Diploma / certificate
Windsor (Ontario, Canada), Canada
Doctorate / PhD
Campbellsville, United States of America
Diploma / certificate