About this program
The Event Management Ontario College Graduate Certificate program prepares you for many exciting roles in the fast-paced event planning industry. Gain the experience, knowledge and real-world practice needed to be successful in this high-demand field.
Learn the logistics of planning an event, including risk management, project development and planning, accounting and financial skills, and marketing.
Gain critical event management skills, from acquiring sponsorships, to providing entertainment and creating programming, to people management and working in teams.
The highlight of the program is a real-world, team-based fundraising event that provides you with an opportunity to make a difference in the community. You also benefit from 112 hours in an industry field placement, gaining more real-world experience and valuable industry contacts.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Have a passion for planning, enjoy putting their plans into action and organizing events.
- Are able to meet tight and evolving deadlines, through the use of strong organizational and time management skills.
- Are able to manage and prioritize personal and professional responsibilities.
- Possess exceptional teamwork skills and the ability to motivate others
- Thrive in high-energy, challenging environments.
- Enjoy brainstorming and problem solving.
- Have strong computer skills.
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent.
- Applicants with partial post-secondary education (minimum two years in good academic standing) and relevant work experience may be considered for admission.
- These applicants will be assessed individually and will be required to complete an Eligibility Package.
- Eligibility Package submission details can be found on the Algonquin College Additional Admission Requirements website: www.algonquincollege.com/admissionspackages.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 22.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Logistics, Operations and Risk Management
- Event Programming and Entertainment
- Computer Applications for Events
- Event Management Strategies
- Event Projects I Practical
- Event Projects I Theory
- Marketing and Revenue Concepts
- Event Projects II Practical
- Field Work
- Event Projects II Theory
- Food and Beverage Managerial Cost Analysis
- Human Resources and Volunteer Management
- Media and Partnership Development
- Elective: choose 2
- Programming for Meetings and Conferences
- Programming for Galas, Weddings and Festivals
- Programming for Trade Shows, Corporate and Government Events
- Programming for Sports, Concerts and Charitable Events
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Create, plan, and design an event to meet organizational and/or client needs.
- Coordinate event site logistics, and staging, to achieve the event objectives.
- Plan, promote and produce marketing plans and communications for events that meet organizational and/or client objectives.
- Coordinate staff, contractors and volunteers to deliver the desired results of an event.
- Manage the financial aspects of an event to meet event objectives.
- Manage the business operations for administration, procurement, and oversight of event projects, to meet organization and/or client needs.
- Develop strategies to mitigate risk and liability to ensure the safety and security of participants during an event.
- Conduct oneself in an ethical and professional manner with clients, contractors and participants of events, in order to create positive experiences and relationships.
- Formulate strategies that support intercultural awareness and inclusion, to create events that meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Select industry standard technology platforms, systems, tools and applications to support the planning and operation of events.
- Develop and implement funding mechanisms to support event objectives, such as sponsorship programs, fundraising initiatives, and/or grants.
- Engage in ongoing learning for professional and career growth.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment as event planners, event coordinators, meeting and conference coordinators, trade show coordinators, corporate event planners, event tourism planners, entry-level event managers, wedding planners and consultants and festival managers. Graduates may also pursue self-employment opportunities.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Event Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!