About this program
With a condensed format of 42 weeks, the Esthetician Ontario College Diploma program prepares you to enter the high-demand wellness industry in less than one year. Learn and apply the latest esthetics trends to promote health and well-being in this growing, dynamic industry. By combining theory and hands-on learning, the Esthetician program teaches you essential skills in skin care, nail care, hair removal, makeup application and body treatments. An emphasis is also placed on developing customer relations skills to help build a strong and loyal customer base.
Gain on-the-job experience applying your skills on real clients at the Salon, Spa and Boutique, Algonquin College's on-campus, student-run spa facility. During this time, you gain experience and knowledge, and become comfortable providing professional esthetic services to clients.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Enjoy interacting with people and providing superior service to clients.
- Have strong communication (oral and written) skills.
- Are organized and energetic.
- Are interested in beauty trends.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 80, with a minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Customer Care and Interpersonal Dynamics
- Computer Skills for Salon and Spa
- Communications I
- Morals, Values and Ethical Principles: What Influences You?
- Skin Care I
- Nail Care Techniques
- Esthetics Practical Lab I
- Health and Safety
- Makeup Artistry and Cosmetology
- Communications II
- Spa Operations I
- Hair Removal
- Skin Care II
- Esthetics Practical Lab II
- Spa Operation II
- Spa and Body Treatments
- Skin Care III
- Esthetics Practical Lab III
- Small Business Practices
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform a variety of specialized body and skin care treatments following correct procedures and precautions and supporting client needs (including and not limited to facials, manicures, pedicures, hair removal, and makeup applications).
- Use a range of specialized equipment and products, in compliance with established national, provincial, industry, and other related standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Apply relevant knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and histology to the provision of specialized esthetic treatments and services.
- Adhere to health, safety, sanitation, and infection and prevention control guidelines, according to current legislation and national, provincial, municipal, and industry standards and legislation.
- Identify business skills and activities required for the successful establishment and operation of a small esthetic business in a salon or spa environment.
- Select and recommend the use of esthetic products and product ingredients to clients, taking into account health status and identified needs.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships in adherence to standards and ethics associated with the profession.
- Develop customer service strategies that meet and adapt to individual needs and expectations, in accordance with professional standards and ethics.
- Determine professional development strategies that lead to the enhancement of work performance and career opportunities, and keep pace with industry change.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment in a variety of wellness careers at day or resort spas; wellness centres; beauty institutes; health clubs; cruise ships; cosmetic firms.
Specific positions include: esthetician; sales representative for manufacturers; distributor and retailer of esthetic products; cosmetician / makeup artist; nail technician; beauty consultant; product representative for manufacturers; distributor and retailer of esthetic products.
Graduates may also choose to pursue self-employment opportunities or small business ownership after completing the program.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Esthetician? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!