BSc (Hons) Biomedical ScienceAbertay University
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
All available course dates
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
We teach you how to explore the biochemical processes that occur in the human body. You will learn how the human body responds to disease, and how to use your knowledge to help identify diseases of all kinds.
Extensive training in our new £3.5m science labs is a feature of all four years of your degree. This is combined with rigorous study of the body in health and disease at all levels (body, organ, tissue, cellular and molecular).
Biomedical scientists are responsible for conducting vitally important scientific tests, which underpin the diagnosis and treatment of human disease. This cutting-edge scientific analysis contributes greatly to the clinical outcomes of patients.
Taught by a combination of academic experts and clinical professionals, this wide-ranging programme is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
Our BMS degree has consistently rated over 90% for student satisfaction. Abertay University ranks in the top three Scottish Universities for Student Satisfaction in the 2020 National Student Survey (NSS).
Following a common pathway for two years, you’ll take either the Standard or the Applied programme route.
The Applied route includes an 18-week placement in one of our partner hospital laboratories and is particularly relevant if you want become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS.
While both degrees are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), (essential if you want to work in the NHS), the Applied route is also approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Chat live with students from Abertay
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Abertay University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- All applicants must have passes in English and Maths - National 5 grade C or GCSE grade C/4 or equivalent. National 5 ESOL is accepted in lieu of National 5 English. National 5 Lifeskill Maths is not accepted in lieu of Maths.
Subjects that are accepted for entry
- One of the following: Business Management; Classical Studies; Economics; English; ESOL; Geography; History; Media Studies; Modern Studies; Philosophy; Politics; Psychology; Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies; Sociology
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Foundations of Chemistry 1
- Biology 1: Biology Principles and Practice
- Professional Studies 1
- Foundations of Chemistry 2
- Human Physiology
- Cell Biology & Immunology
- Medical Microbiology
- Medical Physiology
- Investigative Analytical Science
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Clinical Biochemistry and Cellular Pathology
- Professional Studies 2
- Clinical 2 : Haematology & Transfusion Science
- Perspectives of the Life Sciences Industry
- Applications Mini Project
- Test tube to tablet
- Global Perspectives in Public Health
- Advanced Medical Genetics
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Project Research Methods (1)
- Honours Project (1)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Scottish & EU Students: £1,820
- English, Welsh & Northern Irish Students: £9,250
- International Students: £14,000
Award Title: BSc (Hons)
This degree equips you with the skills to enter various bioscience-based careers, including scientific work in university and commericial laboratories. Some of past graduates have opted for other bioscience-related routes such as secondary school teaching, medical sales, and postgraduate medicine. Many of our graduates gone on to persue Masters or PhD studies in the bioscience field.
The degree's professional accreditation also means that graduates can apply for employment as biomedical scientist/trainee biomedical scientists within the NHS.
About this institute
Abertay University, in Dundee, is the UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021) and a UK top 10 institution for both student satisfaction and teaching (Guardian University Guide 2021). Having...
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America