Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Aalto Bachelor's Program in Science and Technology - Chemical Engineering
In the Chemical Engineering major of the Aalto Bachelor's Program in Science and Technology students learn the basic skills and knowledge required for a transition from an oil-based to a sustainable society. Utilizing natural resources is vital for a sustainable way of living and will be crucial for future economic growth, as it will provide also new business opportunities.
The focus of the major is on biotechnology and biomaterials, complementing the strong basics in mathematics and programming obtained in the basic studies. Harnessing the tools offered by chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology and engineering the major introduces how bio-based “thinking” will help in finding novel solutions to make this world more sustainable and create innovative products and solutions for applications ranging from construction materials and textiles to biofuels and medicine.
This skills combination is very powerful and allows you to specialize in many fields of chemistry and biotechnology as well as life science related topics in your further Master's studies.
For students with sufficient proficiency in Finnish, it is also possible to study the 20-25 credit minor subject of the bachelor’s degree in Finnish.
All applicants must fulfill the general eligibility requirements for higher education. You are eligible to apply if you have completed or will complete during spring 2020 one of the following Programs:
- Finnish matriculation examination
- International Baccalaureate degree (IB)
- European Baccalaureate degree (EB)
- Deutsches Internationales Abitur degree (DIA) or Reifeprüfung degree (RP) in Finland
- A degree or qualification completed outside Finland that in the awarding country gives eligibility for university studies
- A Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification, further vocational qualification or specialist vocational qualification as set in the Vocational Education Act (531/2017)
- Advanced International Certificate of Education degree (AICE) in Finland
Admission to the Aalto Bachelor's Program in Science and Technology is based on either grades obtained in Finnish Matriculation Examination, IB, EB or DIA/RP degree or SAT test results. In Admission Group I admission is based on the grades obtained in the Finnish matriculation examination, IB, EB or DIA/RP Programs. In Admission Group II admission is based on SAT test results.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Differential and integral calculus 1
- First course in probability and statistics
- Matrix Algebra
- Basics in Programming Y2
- Basics in Programming Y1
- Chemistry II
- Introduction Course for Bachelor's students
- Fundamental Biosciences
- Introduction to Industrial Engineering and Management
- Design Meets Biomaterials
- Chemistry IUniversity Wide Studies
- 2nd national lang/Finnish for Foreigners
- Data Structures and Algorithms Y
- Introduction to Optimization
- Computer-aided tools in engineering
- Bioprocess Technology
- Chemistry III
- Industrial Biomass Processes
- Elective/ Minor course
- Numerical Methods in Engineering
- Principles of materials science
- Differential and integral calculus 2
- Compulsory language course
- Bachelor's Thesis and Seminar
- Plant biomass
- Elective/ Minor course
- Basics of Polymer Technology
The full tuition price for non-EU/EEA citizens is €12000 per year
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
By completing the Aalto Bachelor’s Programme in Science and Technology, you will earn a Bachelor of Science (Technology) degree (180 ECTS), or tekniikan kandidaatti in Finnish. The degree is designed to be completed in three years.
After graduating from the BSc Programme the student automatically has the right to continue studies in selected master's programmes. By completing the Master's programme in field of Technology in Aalto University, you will earn a Master of Science (Technology) degree (120 ECTS), or diplomi-insinööri in Finnish.
After graduating from Chemical Engineering major in Aalto Bachelor's Program in Science and Technology, you are directly entitled to enter the following MSc majors.
Master's Degree in Chemical, Biochemical and Materials Engineering (School of CHEM):
- Biomass refining
- Fibre and Polymer Engineering
- Sustainable Metals Processing
Master's Degree in Life Science Technologies (School of SCI):
- Biosystems and Biomaterials Engineering
With a few additional courses (lectured in Finnish), the student can also be selected to other Master level majors in Master's Degree in Chemical, Biochemical and Materials Engineering.
Graduates can work at the interface of natural sciences, engineering and computing within the chemical engineering or biotechnology industries or in a field related to life sciences.
About this institute
Aalto University is a multidisciplinary community of bold thinkers, where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future....
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Potsdam, United States of America
Angola, United States of America