Work & Student Visa in Italy
Student visas in Italy are issued by Italian Embassies and consular posts in a student's country of origin or permanent residence.
European Union (EU) students can enter Italy with a valid passport or an ID card and are entitled to complete a degree in Italy without a visa for as long as they wish. These students must, however, register with the Questura (police station), to obtain residence permit.
Non-EU students are required to obtain a student visa prior entering Italy.
There are two types of student visas in Italy, depending on the duration of the study program.
- Visa type C: Short-stay visa or travel visa valid for one or more entries and for a period not exceeding 90 days
- Visa type D: Long-stay visa valid for more than 90 days
Always start these procedures well in advance of the intended date of entry as the process time can be lengthy. The procedures for student visas in Italy are subject to change, so it is worthwhile to contact the Italian Embassy for information to confirm current visa requirements.
Application forms for student visas in Italy must include a recent passport-size photo, a valid travel document and supporting documents depending on the type of visa the student is applying for.
Students also have to present the following:
- Letter of acceptance from the university
- Proof of adequate financial means of support, including the amount necessary to travel back to their home country or have already purchased a valid return-ticket
- Health documents
Working during your studies
Non-EU students may work during their studies if they obtain a work permit. Processing times vary between regions and it takes an average of two months. Therefore it's better if students don't rely on getting a job upon their arrival to Italy.
Learn more about education in Italy:
Get education news straight to your inbox
References & External Links:
- MIUR (Ministry of Education, University and Research)
- European Commission
- Italian Embassies and Consulates Worldwide
- Organisation of Public Security