Is Spain the perfect study abroad desintation for you, but you're worried about the costs?
We have good news! Tuition fees for universities in Spain are some of the lowest in Europe and are set by the Spanish government.
However, how much you end up paying to study abroad in Spain will depend on certain factors such as the university you choose to study at, and the type and subject of your study program. Students from the EU can automatically study in other EU member states without paying higher tuition fees.
Usually, the case is the same for EEA and Swiss students, although sometimes laws regarding public student loans and residence permits may differ.
One thing to pay attention to is that tuition fees in Spain are calculated in a pay-per-credit format. This means that you might end up paying more if you withdraw and enroll for the second or third time in the same program. Annual tuition fees in public Spanish universities are generally between €2,000-3,500.
Quick Facts about Tuition Fees in Spain
- Spanish universities follow the Bologna university system and each student is required to complete a minimum of 60 (ECTS) credits for one year of university. Tuition fees are calculated and presented according to credits.
- A Bachelor program can cost between €680-1,280 per year at a public university.
- Masters or Doctoral degrees at a public university can vary between €22-36 per credit.
- Fees to attend a Bachelor program in a private university can vary between €5,500-18,000 per school year.
- Along with tuition fees, students have to pay a college application fee. These fees vary but remain less than €44. For more information about application costs, contact your university admission team.
Books and supply costs should also be considered in your budget plans.How much money you will have to spend on them vary. On average, you will spend around €900 per year. Luckily there are alternatives if you’re looking to save money without compromising on your education. A lot of sites like Segunda Mano, one of Spain’s most famous websites for selling and buying of second hand items, can be the right place to find textbooks at a discount price. This is a great way to get the things you need without breaking the budget.
Grants and Scholarships
Several options are available for students looking for financial help with their Spanish-based studies. These include loans, scholarships (even offered by the Spanish government) and various grants.
- International students pursuing a Master or Doctorate program are eligible to apply for the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship
- Students from Africa are eligible to apply for the ALB Foundation MBA Scholarship to fund their MBA studies in Spain.
- Erasmus offers a grant for exchange students (EU only) pursuing a Bachelor degree (first and second cycle) and Master program who meet the general, academic and financial requirements.
- The Ministry of Education can provide financial aid assistance. An application form must be completed and submitted to the ministry of Education, Instituto de cooperacion Iberoamerican or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The application often asks personal questions including the amount of money you and your parents make.
- Universities in Spain sometimes offer various study grants for international students coming to their university to study. Application deadlines vary so talk to your university's admission staff as soon as possible to avoid missing out on applying.
Learn more about studying abroad in Spain:
Overview of Spain
Over 60,000 international students choose Spain as their study abroad destination every year. Click here to learn why.
Want to learn about how the higher education system works in Spain? Spain is a popular study abroad destination for international students, given its laid-back lifestyle, high quality education, and its vibrant culture and history. Take a minute to find out more about the structure of the education system in Spain!
Do you need a visa to enter Spain to study? Learn more about the student visa process, and what you need to enter the country, depending on if you're an EU national or not. Discover what you need to stay in Spain to study abroad!
Housing & Living Costs
No matter where you study abroad, it’s important to create a budget in advance so that you’re prepared. Therefore, we’ve detailed average living and housing costs so that you can get a better idea of what you would be paying as an international student in Spain.
Language & Culture
Spain boasts a rich history and culture. Find out more about Spain's famous vibrancy!
All countries have specific admissions requirements for students to gain acceptance into a university. Learn more about the ins and outs of admission to programs in Spain, and what you need to apply, depending on your citizenship.
Ready to look at education in Spain? Use our search engine to find and compare top programs in Spain today!