Keystone logo

Study in the UK: Housing

Feb 14, 2014
  • Study Abroad in the United Kingdom
Big Ben in London

As a student, it’s important to find the right kind of accommodation. This will vary depending on how much travelling you plan to do, and whether you are able to find part-time work.

Fortunately, students (especially international ones) are often eligible for student housing and, if you pick a student-friendly city, can benefit from a number of student discounts.

University Accommodation

Across the UK, most universities have accommodation known as ‘student halls’ or ‘halls of residence’ which they rent out to students. First year students typically live in student halls to ease their transition to campus life and independence. 

Student halls typically resemble studio-sized rooms with communal kitchens and living and bathroom areas. Often a canteen will provide meals at an extra cost. The rooms in halls may be a little basic, but they offer more opportunity to socialize with other students outside of your study program. 

Self-catering flats are usually separate units with fully equipped kitchens and private living spaces/bathrooms. These are slightly more expensive but offer more privacy and calm if that’s your preference.

Find a program

Want to study in the UK? Find & compare programs

Most university accommodation is located on campus or close to lecture theatres and other facilities, but this is variable - you can save significantly on rent by living a little further away.

There is always competition for housing so it is worth applying as early as possible. However, some universities offer international students a guaranteed place in student halls for their first year. 

Contact your university to find out the housing options they offer.

Private Rentals

If you’re looking to rent on the private market, you can find an apartment through an estate agent or private landlord.

The cost of rent fluctuates greatly depending on the location and standard of the house/flat but sharing with roommates can ease the pressure on your budget, and many choose to live with a group of friends.

For many students this is their first taste of living on their own and it’s always an exciting experience! Check out some of these great student accommodation websites:

Casita helps university students from all around the world find the best home in over 30 countries in North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. Casita offers high quality and trusted accommodation options that are built and managed for University students. Find you student accommodation in the UK.

Uniplaces is a housing portal that offers a fresh approach to booking student accommodation online. It’s fast to book, safe to pay, and lets you browse through thousands of trusted properties in Europe’s best student cities, including London, Manchester and Nottingham. logo offers over 1 million beds in the UK and other countries around the world. Their website is free to use and offers a dedicated team of expert accommodation consultants and price match comparisons. They also have formal contractual relationships with every landlord on their site for an added layer of security for you!

Learn more about studying in the UK:


Choosing the UK as your study abroad destination means more than a top-quality education. Get an overview of what the UK and why you should study abroad there.

Student Visas for the UK

What kind of study visa do international students need to study abroad in the UK? UK student visas are awarded on a points-based system, obtained by submitted certain information and documents.


Tuition fees for the United Kingdom vary depending on where you are from and where you are studying. Find out more about costs as well as scholarship opportunities for international students.

Meet the English Requirements

Make sure you're ready to start studying abroad in the UK. UK schools will normally want to see evidence of your English-language abilities. The TOEFL® test is accepted by 100% of UK schools, including the Russell Group® and Oxford and Cambridge. Find out more about the TOEFL® test and how it can help you.

ETS, TOEFL and TOEFL iBT are registered trademarks of ETS.

Entry Requirements for UK universities

The facility for undergraduate admissions in the UK is The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). There are two rounds of applications each year. Find out more here.


Ready to look at studying abroad in the UK? Use our search engine to find and compare top programs in the UK today!