Tuition fees are often at the top of students’ minds when making the decision to study abroad. Luckily, the cost of education in Switzerland for international students is relatively lower than in some other European countries, and may be a drop in the bucket if you’re coming from North America or the U.K.
The fees for higher education institutions in Switzerland can vary, typically lower at public institutions compared to private institutions. Tuition fees may depend on your nationality, program, or level of study. The average overall cost for a bachelor’s degree in Switzerland sits around CHF 18,500 for the entire program. Depending on your institution, however, that number can range from as low as CHF 5000 up to CHF 24,000. Fees for master’s degrees in Switzerland can also vary greatly from general Masters of Arts to MBAs.
Scholarships for International Students in Switzerland
Are you swimming in numbers trying to figure out how to fund your study abroad experience? It’s often a top concern for students, and numerous scholarships abound to help you make your dream of studying in Switzerland, into a reality.
Start looking into scholarships by consulting our scholarship guide, or, if you’re looking into a master’s degree, apply to educations.com’s scholarship competition for the chance to win €5000 to fund your European master’s degree!
Other scholarships specific to studying in Switzerland are also offered, often given through bilateral agreements between your home country’s government and the Swiss government, as well as scholarships specific to Swiss institutions.
- Swiss excellence scholarships for foreign students promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and 180 other countries. This scholarship can be claimed by post-graduate researchers who plan to pursue research education in Switzerland, or students holding a bachelor’s degree planning to continue their studies at a master’s level in Switzerland.
- ETH Excellence scholarships support students from ETH and from other universities (national and international) who wish to pursue a master's degree at ETH with a two-year scholarship program.
- University of Lausanne Master's Grants for foreign students are for students who have graduated from a foreign university, wishing to pursue their master’s program at Lausanne University.
- EPFL Excellence Fellowships offer a select number of scholarships for students with a solid academic record and who wish to continue their master studies at EPFL.
- Scholarships from The Graduate Institute of Geneva provide over CHF 2 million to support students with financial needs by offering partial/complete financial assistance to complete their graduate studies in Switzerland.
- IMD MBA Scholarships offer merit- and need-based scholarships to students from all over the globe. Four scholarships covering 80% of tuition costs are available, and one full-ride scholarship is also available.
- University of Geneva Excellence Master Fellowships is offered by the Faculty of Science at the University of Geneva, to highly motivated students wishing to pursue their studies at the masters level in any of the programs within the faculty.