Student Visas for Education in Switzerland
When you have received confirmation of acceptance by a Swiss university or private school, please contact the Swiss embassy in your country for information on entry formalities for Switzerland. You will have to show proof that you have adequate financial means to support yourself during your studies.
Although Switzerland is not a member of the EU, it allows EU citizens to attend university in the country. Incoming students must register with the local resident registration office within 14 days of arrival in Switzerland to apply for a residence permit. The following supporting documents are usually required.
- Residence permit application completed
- A valid passport and identity card
- Confirmation that you have been accepted by a Swiss university
- A guarantee of sufficient financial means to support yourself during your studies (e.g. bank statement)
- 2 passport size photographs
- Statement concerning your address in Switzerland
- The residence permit will only be issued if your financial means are guaranteed.
The awarded residence permit will need to be renewed annually.
Students that do not have EU/EEA nationality must contact the Swiss embassy or consulate in their home country to apply for a visa prior to entering the country. If the application is approved, applicants are deemed to satisfy the requirements for entry into Switzerland to take up residency for the purpose for studying.
Learn more about education in Switzerland: