Are you ready to leave your comfort zone and begin your study journey in the beautiful Baltic country of Lithuania? We hope you are! We are here to help you during the application process to Lithuanian universities.
Just make sure you have all the necessary documents ready on time and create a list with the programs and universities you wish to apply for. Don’t forget to contact your nearest Lithuanian Embassy or Consulate for visa-related information, document-related questions or any other queries.
1. Choose the program you wish to apply for
This is the first and most important step. Think of the profession you want to follow in the future, your strengths and qualifications and pick a program that will give you the opportunity to unravel your true potential. Lithuanian institutions offer a variety of programs in law, business, IT, social sciences, engineering and medicine.
2. Check the admission requirements
Each program and university has their own specific admission requirements. Conduct online research first by navigating to the official websites of the institutions and programs and contact them in case you have additional questions. Lithuanian Embassies and Consulates can also provide you with information about your studies and assist you in making a decision.
3. Prepare the necessary documents
This is a time consuming step, so make sure you are well-prepared and start gathering the necessary documents as soon as possible, as you might need to translate your documents into Lithuanian in some instances. You must submit all the documents to the selected university before the deadline. Don’t forget to check the deadline for your study program as application deadlines vary depending on the university. Overall, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A completed application form of the university of your choice.
- Certificate of prior education (including grades), recognized by the Lithuanian Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (CQAHE).
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A letter of motivation explaining why you want to study in Lithuania.
- A copy of your passport.
- Passport-size photographs.
- A receipt proving that the application and tuition fees have been paid.
- Bank statements demonstrating sufficient funds supporting you during your studies.
4. Submit your application
When all the documents are ready, translated and signed, it is time to submit your application. Remember to submit your application as soon as possible, since, in case you're an international student, document recognition might take up to one month or even longer. There are two application procedures depending on your citizen status.
- If you are a citizen of Lithuania, EU/EEA country, or have a right of permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania or a child, grandchild and great-grandchild of the Diaspora and people of Lithuanian origin, you need to complete an application form of general admission via the website of the Association of Lithuanian Higher Education Institutions LAMA BPO.
- If you are a non-European citizen and you want to finance your studies independently with your own funds, you should apply directly to the selected Lithuanian university or college.
5. Apply for an Lithuanian student visa
Congratulations! You are officially registered as a student in Lithuania. The moment you receive the letter of acceptance from the university, you can apply for your Lithuanian student D visa.
Start with that process as soon as you get your letter of acceptance, as the procedure might take time. Visit the visa section above regarding all the necessary documents and criteria you need to take into consideration for your visa application. In case you also apply for a residence permit, don’t forget to submit your application through MIGRIS.
6. Arrive in Lithuania
You made it! You have your visa and residence permit ready and now it is time to prepare your luggage and arrive in Lithuania. Book your flight and start searching as early as possible for accommodation, either in a student dormitory or in a private apartment. Think positive, brace yourself and Sveiki atvykę į Lietuvą (Welcome to Lithuania!).
Study in Lithuania - Overview
More and more international students choose Lithuania as their study abroad destination every year. Click here to learn why.
Want to learn about how the higher education system works in Lithuania? Lithuania is one of the popular destinations for a variety of students, given its diverse programs. Take a minute to find out more about the structure of the education system in Lithuania!
Do you need a visa to enter Lithuania to study? Learn more about the student visa process, and what you need to enter the country, depending on your citizen status. You will also be required to bring certain documents with you to passport control at the airport, which we cover as well.
Housing & Living Costs
No matter where you study abroad, it’s important to create a budget in advance so that you’re prepared. Therefore, we’ve detailed average living and housing costs so that you can get a better idea of what you would be paying as a student in Lithuania.
Tuition Fees & Scholarships
Tuition fees for degree programs in Lithuania may vary. Both international and domestic students are expected to pay tuition fees in Lithuania. To cover the rest of the costs, there’s plenty of scholarship opportunities available.
Language & Culture
Lithuania is a country rich in history and culture. Find out more about what the country offers in terms of language, culture, and more!
Ready to look at education in Lithuania? Use our search engine to find and compare top programs in Lithuania today!