Tuition Fees in Estonia
Tuition fees in Estonia will depend on your chosen institution, the level of your studies, and your preferred programme.
At times, the cost of the tuition will also depend on your country of origin, as some Estonian higher education institutions have separate fees for students from the European Union and those from outside the EU.
For Bachelor and Master Studies
- Estonia joins Finland, Norway and Germany as one of the few European countries which offers the privilege of studying for free in their universities.
- However, these tuition-free programmes are taught in Estonian only.
- Generally, programmes taught in English cost around EUR 1660 – EUR 7500 per year
- Medicine programmes are the priciest, charging EUR 11 000 per year.
- Business, Law and Social science degrees are also considered as the most expensive to pursue in Estonia.
For PhD & Exchange Studies
- Doctoral programmes in Estonia are tuition-free.
- PhD students can take advantage of a doctoral allowance amounting to EUR 383.47 per month.
- Exchange studies are at no cost as well, and are eligible for a small grant if stated in the agreement.
Grants and Scholarships
Estonian government scholarships are provided for international students, lecturers and researchers who wish to have additional support in their pursuit of a Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD studies at any of the recognized Estonian higher education institutions.
- The scholarship covers 12 calendar months’ worth of study for each academic year during the entire run of the degree programme, except during the final academic year, in which it will only cover 10 months.
- An individual must be taking up full-time studies and is completing at least 75% of their required coursework in each academic year for the scholarship to take effect.
- Any academic period extending beyond the normal duration of the programme will not be covered by the scholarship.
- The scholarship assistance amounts to EUR 350 per month for Bachelor and Master’s programmes.
- Conversely, PhD scholarships are at EUR 422 per month.
- The scholarship for Bachelor degrees are only applicable to courses in areas associated with Estonian language and culture.
- PhD students receiving allowances under the Study Allowances and Study Loans Act are not eligible for scholarship.
Required documents for scholarship applications
- An accomplished application form and motivation letter to be submitted through the online application system
- Affirmation of admission from an Estonian institution of higher education
- Either a copy of the applicant’s passport or ID-card.
The submitted documents must be translated to either English or Estonian. The application period is usually between the months of April and May.
Learn more about education in Estonia: