Show as: Mobile

Working in Japan


Working While Studying in Japan

Many foreign students choose to do part-time work to help pay their tuition or living expenses. In fact, seven out of ten foreign students are engaged in some type of part-time work in Japan. However, please note that because your status of residence is that of College Student or Pre-college Student, you are fundamentally prohibited to work in Japan without getting the necessary permit. Therefore, before you do any part-time work, please make sure to get a "Permit to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted" from your regional immigration bureau. There is also a limit on your working hours according to your status of residence. Please make sure that you stay within the prescribed limit.

Find a Program in Japan 

Learn more about education in Japan:


References & External Links:

Study Japan:

Last update: 02 Jun 2017

Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe

Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!

Applications are now open

Top 10 Countries to Study Abroad

Where should you study abroad? Check out the official 2019 country rankings to see which countries make the best study abroad destinations.

View the 2019 rankings

Career test - find your perfect career

Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.

Take the test

Get education news straight to your inbox

Enter your details below to get the latest news on international education and studying abroad!

This field is used for controlling automatic form submits. Please leave it blank:
Enter your details:

Like us?

Leave a review on Facebook so we can help others like you find their perfect study abroad adventure!

Recommend us ⭐