Geological Sciences, Bachelor of Science (5008)
Geological science is often known as the science of the 21st century, as it is ground zero for tackling global challenges like managing land, water, ocean, space, mineral, and energy resources in a sustainable way. Society’s interest in the environment and climate change is growing fast. The time has never been better to become a geological scientist.
The B.S. degree in Geological Sciences can provide a wide variety of career options, including jobs in the corporate (oil & gas, mining, environmental, engineering), government (surveys, agencies, park service), and academic sectors. Our program takes a holistic approach, as the traditional geology has become increasingly interdisciplinary. With two concentrations (Geology, and Environmental Earth Science), the program has a common core, providing the knowledge base for students to pursue the Professional Geologist licensure. Each concentration has different other requirements, specializing in different subjects. Our classes feature interactive learning, both in the field exploring the earth and in the lab doing simulations and analytical works. Students also enjoy excellent opportunities to work with faculty and other students on a variety of research topics.
International Admissions Requirements
- A completed application (open WKU application for admission)
- Minimum academic requirements: Freshmen: 2.5 GPA / Transfer:* 2.0 GPA
- *Students with 24 or more earned hours of college credit
- English proficiency requirements (one of the following):
- TOEFL, IBT – 71
- IELTS – 6.0
- SAT Critical Reading – 450
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading & Writing – 460
- ELS – Level 109 PTE Academic – 52
- DuoLingo - 100 DET for one-semester Pathway program; 90 DET for two-semester Pathway program
- $75 non-refundable application fee
- Official Academic Records from schools attended with grades and any degrees/diplomas/certificates received. Should also include a literal English translation.
- Financial Evidence of Supportmust be provided to obtain an I-20
- Students transferring from within the US will need to fill out theTransfer-In Form
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The Earth Laboratory
- Introduction to College Writing
- World History I
- World History II
- Fundamentals of Public Speaking and Communication
- University Experience-Geography
- Earth's Past and Future
- Earth's Past and Future Lab
- College Chemistry I
- Introduction to Literature
- Environmental Geology
- Introductory Field Techniques
- Calculus I
- Colonnade - Arts & Humanities
- Colonnade - Social & Behavioral
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Calculus II
- Colonnade - Connections Social & Cultural
- Introduction to Physics and Biophysics I
- Fundamentals of GIS
- Colonnade - Systems
- Structural Geology
- Writing in the Geosciences
- Colonnade - Local to Global
- Professional Preparation in Geology
- Colonnade - Social & Cultural
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Fall 2021/Spring 2022 Semester
- Resident: $5,496
- Military Veteran/Dependent Resident: $5,496
- Non-Resident (Domestic): $13,500
- Non-Resident (International):$13,824
About this institute
Western Kentucky University
Founded in 1906, WKU is home to many highly-ranked and nationally-recognized academic programs such as business/management, journalism/broadcasting, engineering, computer sciences, social sciences, and public health, but it holds over 200 course programs that span the academic spectrum. More than 17,000...
Want to know more about Geological Sciences, Bachelor of Science (5008)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Knoxville, United States of America