Master's Degree in Social Anthropology
This Programme offers an intensive introduction to contemporary anthropology. As societies around the world vary enormously in their social, cultural and political forms, the Master of Social Anthropology Programme is designed to study these variations and the common humanity contained therein. Such topics as transnational mobility, debated cultural practices of inclusion and exclusion as well as the transformation of the state are especially articulated in the Programme. It also provides the students with a thorough theoretical and methodological grounding, essential for attaining non-judgmental understanding and appreciation of the diversity of other cultures, significance of cross-cultural perspectives and intercultural understanding. The Programme combines classroom and experiential field-based learning activities as appropriate for each student’s career plans. It teaches students how to carry out independent scientific research and conduct ethnographic fieldwork.
Due to international cooperation between Vytautas Magbnus University and Southern Illinois University (USA) Social Anthropology students have the opportunity to receive Southern Illinois University’s Certificate in Intercultural Understanding. For that the successful completion of 18 ECTS three courses held by visiting anthropology professors from Southern Illinois University and other universities is required.
- Bachelor degree diplomaor equivalent degree in Social Sciences or Humanities. Those whose Bachelor level studies included little or no background in anthropology are required to take course "Introduction to Sociocultural Anthropology" from the Bachelor study programme in Sociology and Anthropology.
- Proof of English Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (TOEFL 87 iBT/534, IELTS 5.5 or any other document proving B2 level) if the applicant had not received education in English. After admission all students will be tested for English language level at the Institute of Foreign Languages at Vytautas Magnus University.
- Admission score is counted based on: Arithmetic average of bachelor degree diploma supplement all subjects* 0,4 + grade of the of Bachelor thesis or final examination* 0,1 + interview by phone / skype* 0,5.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Tuition fee per year (EU citizens) - 2608 Eur
Tuition fee per year (non EU citizens) - 2900 Eur
Note:International students from outside Lithuania can be admitted to state funded places in Lithuanian universities/colleges or apply for scholarships via a competitive admission process in the manner laid down in the law and provided that they are:
- citizens / family members of the citizens of the Republic of Lithuania or other countries in the European Union and the European Economic Area;
- non-EU/EEA nationals or stateless persons holding a permanent Lithuanian residence permit;
- Lithuanians living abroad.
If the above criteria are not satisfied, foreign nationals and stateless persons are accepted to universities/colleges via a competitive admission process to studyat their own expense.
Scholarships & funding
Vytautas Magnus University offers scholarships to foreign students who are applying forBachelor’sorMaster’sdegree programmes taught in English at Vytautas Magnus University.
Upon the decision of VMU scholarship commission scholarships apply tuition fee compensations, which may cover:
• Full tuition fee for the whole study period (100 % discount)
• Half of the tuition fee for the whole study period (50 % discount)
• Full tuition fee for one academic year (100 % discount)
• Full tuition fee for one semester (100 % discount)
Vytautas Magnus University is seeking intelligent, talented and ambitious people who view themselves as citizens of the world.
Enquire via the request information form to learn more.
Master of Social Sciences
About this institute
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) is a public university that was established in 1922. Ranked in QS World University Rankings 2018 as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and...
Want to know more about Social Anthropology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
COVID-19: Support for Current and Prospective Students
We believe in making study abroad a safe, positive experience for everyone. Find out what we're doing to help our users in light of recent coronavirus (COVID-19) developments.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...