Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
The Molecular Biology and Biotechnology program connects fundamental research with its applications and integrates genetics, gene technology, cell biology, molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, systems biology, biotechnology and bioinformatics.
The program focuses to provide all necessary knowledge needed to promote broad range expertise, erudition, and intellectual sense of satisfaction during studies, practice and work. During this program, you acquire in-depth knowledge and skills via theoretical and practical training.
You become highly competent in the field of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, with excellent perspectives for an independent career in an academic or industrial research environment.
- Bachelor degree diploma or equivalent degree in one of these fields: Biology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biophysics, Pharmacy. ECTS courses may be required for agronomy, veterinary, pedagogical science and other bachelors.
- Proof of English Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level (TOEFL 87 iBT / 534 PBT; IELTS 5.5 or any other document proving B2 level) if the applicant had not received education in English. After admission all students will be tested for English language level at the Institute of Foreign Languages at Vytautas Magnus University. If English level will be below B2 students will have to study English to reach B1 level in first two semesters of Master studies. Students have to self-fund English studies
- Admission score is counted based on: Motivation letter* 0,3 + Arithmetic average of bachelor degree diploma supplement all subjects* 0,4 + English grade* 0,3.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular laboratory diagnostics
- Molecular Ecology
- Research work
- Molecular biotechnology
- Bionanotechnology and biomodeling
- Molecular immunogenetics
- Research Project
- Biotechnology for medicine
- Special Course
- Molecular Methods in Forensic Medicine
- Molecular biology of medicinal plants
- Genetically modified organisms
- Scientific professional practice
- Integral analysis of biological systems
- Systems biology
- Plant biotechnology
- Master Thesis
- Molecular methods in forensic medicine
- Molecular biology of medicinal plants
The tuition price is €4,234 per year
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information
Master Degree (Master of Life Sciences)
Graduates of the program will be able
- To analyze molecular diversity, structure, composition, to characterize biological systems, their functioning and interaction: genomics, proteomics, metabolomics;
- To understand principles of immune and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects;
- To work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations;
- To comprehend evolution of biological objects, lows in heredity and variability, features and molecular principles of congenital diseases, and to know how to apply them for investigation of biological diversity, structure of living organisms, functioning and evolution;
- According to collected data and molecular analysis to evaluate population’s structures, environmental impact on populations, interrelations between populations and individual species;
- To apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions;
- To apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data;
- To solve qualitative and quantitative problems by using acquired mathematical and computational skills and special computer software, DNA gene base;
- To use creatively bio-information technologies for analysis, digital description and simulation of biological objects, to use biological databases, to systematize the collected information.
Graduates will be prepared to work in companies related to molecular biology, biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry; Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to molecular biology, biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
Graduates are also offered the possibility to continue their studies at PhD Degree level in Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, and other PhD programmes related to biotechnological and biomedical sciences.
About this institute
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) is a public university that was established in 1922. Ranked in QS World University Rankings 2018 as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and...
Want to know more about Molecular Biology and Biotechnology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...