Master's Degree in East Asia Region Studies
“The Asian century is set to begin” – declared Financial Times in 2019 by crunching statistical data and summarizing research done by leading political scientists and economists. With this world-changing trend in mind, VMU launched the master’s degree programme of East Asia Region Studies (EARS) in 2007 making it the first and only graduate programme in the Baltic States that is taught in English and focused on East Asian contemporary politics and society.
In addition to providing core knowledge about modern political, economic and social developments of East Asian countries, i.e. Korea, Japan and China, the programme also creates an encouraging environment for students to design their own study plan according to their research ambitions. As a result, students can further expand their knowledge in region’s history, languages, culture or other fields. In addition, motivated students have a possibility to study at least one semester abroad not only in other European countries but also at one of many VMU’s partner universities in East Asia.
- Bachelor degree diploma in Humanities or Social Sciences. It is recommended that the Bachelor degree diploma should have 6 ECTS in Social Sciences, 4 ECTS in Humanities and 10 ECTS in Political Science related subjects.
- Proof of English Language: applicant has to present document proving B2 level (TOEFL 87-109 iBT/534-633 PBT, IELTS 5-6,5, Cambridge English First (FCE), BEC Vantage, Michigan ECCE, PTE General Level 3, TOEIC Listening & Reading 785, TOEIC Speaking & Writing 310) if the applicant is not native speaker and/or had not received education in English.
- Admission score is counted based on: Arithmetic average of bachelor degree diploma supplement all subjects* 0.5 + Evaluation of bachelor thesis or final examination * 0.3 + Motivation letter * 0.2.
In case there is no evaluation of bachelor thesis or final examination, arithmetic average of bachelor degree diploma supplement all subjects * 0.8.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fee per year: 3989 Eur
Master of Social Sciences
- Knowledge of contemporary politics, economics and society of China, Japan and Korea.
- Ability to critically analyse East Asian political, economic and social processes in the domestic and international context.
- Understanding of development trends in East Asian countries and changing region’s role in the world.
- Effective communication skills across East Asian cultures and audiences at a personal and professional level.
- Ability to use research, communication and evaluation skills in diverse career fields.
The programme is aimed at preparing qualified specialists to work in:
- the private sector that seeks to develop business relations with East Asian countries;
- governmental institutions (including diplomatic missions and international governmental organisations, such as EU or UN) that have departments managing relations with China, Japan or Korea;
- think tanks conducting East Asia related analytical work;
- education institutions of all levels that require teachers or administrators with specialized regional knowledge;
- civil society organisations seeking to build ties or conduct activities in East Asia.
In addition, acquiring master’s degree allows graduates of the programme to continue their studies at PhD level in the field of social sciences both in Lithuanian and foreign universities.
About this institute
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) is a public university that was established in 1922. Ranked in QS World University Rankings 2018 as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and...
Want to know more about East Asia Region Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...