Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Applied English Linguistics
The program aims:
- to educate highly qualified specialists who possess comparative knowledge of native and foreign languages and cultures and are able to apply the acquired skills of intercultural communication at work, e.g. in academic and cultural institutions, business companies, international institutions and projects for international cooperation, especially contracted by the European Union states;
- to educate highly qualified translators who possess theoretical and practical knowledge of principles of text production and editing in two or more languages and are able to use modern software for term-search and automated translation memory systems;
- to train students for doctoral studies by expanding the range of academic and research topics so that these would include comparative linguistics, translation theory and cross-cultural analysis.
- Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
- Bachelor degree diploma or equivalent degree in English Philology or a corresponding study field. The Bachelor Degree shall contain at least 30 ECTS in an English Philology study program.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Principles of Editing
- Language in Sociocultural Context
- Research Colloquium for Master Students
- Theories and Methods of Translation
Optional courses I
- Mediatization of Language, Culture and Everyday Life
- Translation 1: Language for Business
- Literary Translation 1
- Contrastive Stylistics
- Research paper No 1
- Theory and Practice of Interpreting
Optional courses I
- Project Management Basics
- Terminology and Terminography
- Translation 2: Language for Law
- Computer-Aided Translation
- Neurolinguistic Language Teaching and Learning Methods
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Research paper No 2
Optional courses I
- Innovative Language Teaching Strategies
- Specialized Text Translation 3: Language for Science and Technology
- Literary Translation 2
- Special Course
- MA thesis
The tuition price is €3,757 per year
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information
Master Degree (Master in Humanities)
Graduates will be able:
- to apply current concepts from translation theory and practice in analyzing and translating English and native language texts of different functional styles and genres;
- to develop the skills needed to work with specialized texts (business, legal, academic, etc.), to choose appropriate translation strategies for dealing with such texts;
- to use automated translation programs and corpus lexicography;
- to apply the current theories related to issues in literary translation;
- to use their knowledge and understanding of intercultural research; develop the skills needed to analyze data for intercultural communication, especially relevant in the context of European/ transnational projects implemented for a specific company or institution;
- to apply the acquired research skills in the areas of translation, English and other foreign language philology, and cultural studies.
About this institute
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) is a public university that was established in 1922. Ranked in QS World University Rankings 2018 as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and...
Want to know more about Applied English Linguistics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...