ENTREPRENEURSHIP IS A STATE OF MIND. IT'S ABOUT TURNING OPPORTUNITIES INTO ACTION
Welcome to the joint VU and UvA MSc in Entrepreneurship
During this exciting Master’s programme you learn how to be more entrepreneurial. Thinking and feeling like an entrepreneur benefits your career as employee or business owner.
The Master’s programme Entrepreneurship aims to provide students with cutting-edge knowledge on entrepreneurship, relevant skills, and an entrepreneurial attitude. In addition, the students will be able to bridge theory and practice by applying and creating relevant academic knowledge on entrepreneurship in real life settings to solve challenging problems. Accordingly, the student is equipped to assess and successfully develop new business ideas in uncertain environments with limited resources but with decent foundations, in the context of both new ventures as well as established firms. The programme broadly positions the concept by looking at different types of entrepreneurship: new commercial ventures, entrepreneurial activities within organizations, and initiatives that solve social problems. This broad positioning can also be seen in the enrollment of students from various academic backgrounds; not only students with a degree in business or economics are admitted but also students with degrees in different academic disciplines.
As two leading Dutch universities, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) and the University of Amsterdam (UvA) deliver a unique Master’s programme in Entrepreneurship in one of Europe’s most innovative business hubs: Amsterdam. Entrepreneurship has by now become a mature academic discipline. VU Amsterdam and the UvA have combined their expertise in this area to create an internationally relevant Master’s programme. It exposes students to two distinct academic cultures, challenging them to look further and preparing them for the demands of entrepreneurial practice. The joint character of this Master’s programme also reflects in the joint programme management.
1. Academic Bachelor's degree
Applicants from various academic backgrounds may be eligible for admission to the programme, as long as they can indicate a history of having completed enough relevant courses.
- Completed academic BSc, BA or LLB degree (or higher) from a research university.
- An academic working standard, including experience in academic writing. Course requirements: at least 5EC
- Sound knowledge of research methodology, including sufficient analytical and statistical skills. Course requirements: at least 12ECin Research skills (qualitative and quantitative) at 3rd year Bachelor's level.
- Experience with entrepreneurship; demonstrated with completed courses in Entrepreneurship (at least 6 credits on 3rd year bachelor level) and/or entrepreneurial experience as (co) founder or (co) owner (at least 6 months, in the past 3 year).
- Applicants need to upload a writing sample in English, their official course list and course descriptions of all the required courses.
- In the online application, applicants need to upload a writing sample in English, their official course list (and, if available, their Bachelor's diploma) and course descriptions of all the required courses.
- Please note that specific entry requirements apply to students with an African, Chinese, or Indian Bachelor's degree.
2. English language proficiency
We require evidence of English language proficiency:
- TOEFL IBT: 92 points overall and 22 points for each sub-score (TOEFL institution code: 9011)
- IELTS (Academic test): 6,5 Overall and 6,0 for each sub-score
- Cambridge Assessment English
- Certificate in Advanced English: 170 Points Overall and in each skill
- Certificate of Proficiency in English: 170 Points Overall and in each skill
Applicants who have obtained their Bachelor's diploma/degree in one of the following countries: The Netherlands, Australia, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America.
English language requirements and exemptions
3. Motivation and initiative
Students are expected to have the intrinsic motivation to test and build upon knowledge gained in the programme. Coursework is designed in keeping with this expectation and demands personal initiative and an active contribution on the part of the student. Applicants are expected to upload a motivational video of max. 2 minutes in the online application. If this is technically not possible, a motivation letter is also allowed. Both options will be evaluated equally.
4. Sample of academic writing
We would like to receive a sample of the applicant's academic writing (English or Dutch, max 1500 words, including references) in the online application.
We will assess your application in its entirety, but we are looking for students with good results in their Bachelor’s degree. Please mention your GPA calculation in your online application.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The UvA and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) have combined their expertise to create an internationally relevant Master’s programme. Professionals from both universities and their individual business networks have been selected to participate. So you will learn from the best of the best.
Become more entrepreneurial
How do business ideas come to life? And how do you further develop, validate, and finance them? Inspiring lecturers will engage you in all aspects of bringing to life new business ideas. Helping you to create value for either an existing company or your own. And for society at large.
During the programme you take a thorough look at new ventures, as well as entrepreneurial activities within existing organisations (both start-ups, scale-ups, and corporate organizations).
You will learn about developing, validating, and financing new ventures and activities. Also you will explore the managerial, collaborative and social aspects related to assessing and bringing to life new business ideas. All this theory comes to practice when you:
- solve real-life challenges;
- explore and validate your own business idea;
- choose an internship and gain relevant experience.
Connect with the business world
In most courses inspiring guest speakers talk about their challenges in setting up or running a business. It's not uncommon that they are looking for talent. So go ahead and connect with them.
Also our own internationally recognised researchers introduce you to the latest techniques and theories. Providing you the up-to-date tools and skills to take with you in your first job or business.
The cost of this program for students of EU/EEA countries is €2,143
Scholarships & funding
With our own scholarship, the VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP), we offer highly motivated students with excellent study results the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree with financial support provided by the university. The VUFP scholarship is a tuition fee waiver. The Holland Scholarship Programme (HSP) is meant for students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who want to follow a Master’s programme in the Netherlands. VU Amsterdam embraces diversity as an enrichment to our teaching, research and our contribution to society. This scholarship is specifically intended for excellent students who contribute to the diversity at our campus. As an international student planning to study at VU Amsterdam, you can apply for a variety of grants and bursaries.
MSc in Entrepreneurship
Wide set of options
Our alumni have started careers in a diversity of industries. They either start as entrepreneur, or are employed at a start-up, scale-up, or established organisation.
- Work at a start-up or scale-up
As Amsterdam hosts one of the largest startup hubs in Europe, there will be plenty of opportunities to work for a startup or scale-up. Already during the program you will meet some of them through guest talks and real-life challenges.
- Work at an established organisation
More and more organisations are applying new venturing initiatives such as incubation programs. Many organisations are looking for entrepreneurial graduates to help them bring to life innovative business ideas.
- Become an entrepreneur
During the program we provide you opportunities to start exploring business ideas. Also after the program there is plenty of assistance available to increase the chance of setting up a successful business.
- Obtain a PhD degree
This programme can also put you on a pathway to obtaining a PhD degree, becoming an entrepreneurship researcher or otherwise pursuing an academic career.
More about our PhD programmes
Possible jobs and functions
This programme is suitable for all students who think they may (one day) want to be:
- founder of their own venture
- manager aiming to create an entrepreneurial culture
- manager aiming to boost innovation
- policymaker aiming to create conditions to stimulate entrepreneurship
- project leader in innovation projects
About this institute
Welcome to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (‘VU Amsterdam’) is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 170 English-taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to more than 24,000 students from all over the world. Students and staff...
Want to know more about Masters in Entrepreneurship (Joint Degree)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Rochester, United States of America