Learn how power works
How did Trump win the 2016 presidential election? Will the US remain the world’s leading power or will China become the dominant player? What are the implications of rising populism for European democracy? During the bachelor’s programme in Political Science: Global Politics VU Amsterdam, you will study political power structures and the influence they have on society. According to the 2018 National Student Survey, the bachelor's programme in Political Science at VU Amsterdam is ranked the best of its kind in the Netherlands. Unlike most other universities, VU Amsterdam offers a mix of public administration, national and international politics in the first year. All courses are English-taught and tailored towards generating unique experiences and insights. The Bachelor’s student body is as diverse in nationality and background as the teaching staff.
During the bachelor’s programme in Political Science, you will study how societies and international relationships are organised politically and how decisions are made. You will examine the way municipal councils, political parties or the United Nations Security Council function and who ultimately decides. You will explore topics such as the shifting global balance of power, EU governance and migration and the origins of war and conflict. At VU Amsterdam you will be trained to conduct independent academic research. Using various scientific methods and techniques, you will learn how to formulate and answer your own research questions. In the classroom, you will discuss issues such as the Brexit vote and the geopolitical tensions with Russia. You will be able to analyse current affairs and the structures that underpin them.
As a Global Politics graduate, you are well prepared to work as a consultant, journalist, researcher or policy officer at a municipality, ministry, embassy, company, research agency or a social or political organisation. Your knowledge of politics and political processes will appeal to a wide range of employers, including international organisations such as the United Nations, the European Union, multinationals and NGOs.
Why at VU Amsterdam?
- Political Science at VU Amsterdam is ranked the best political science bachelor’s programme in the Netherlands in the 2018 National Student Survey.
- This is a small-scale programme. The instructors are easily accessible and you will receive personal attention as a student and there is an active student community.
- You will spend the first year studying public administration, national and international politics. Subsequently, you can choose different specialisations, allowing you to further specialise in the area that you find interesting.
- The programme gives specific attention to political science in practice. You will visit the Senate of the Dutch Parliament and simulate United Nations proceedings.
- You are part of an international classroom with students and teachers from various backgrounds.
- The VU is an easily accessible campus university where you will meet students from all disciplines.
- Diversity is important at VU Amsterdam. Everyone is welcome.
- Unlike at most other universities, you will be working with students from other disciplines to find solutions to contemporary societal challenges such as globalisation, diversity and networks.
- Diploma equivalent to Dutch VWO diploma See the Diploma Requirement List for examples of accepted diplomas per country. Please note: this list is meant to give you an indication of admissibility; no rights can be derived from it.
- Proof of sufficient proficiency in English IELTS: 6.5 (only the Academic IELTS test is accepted)VU TOEFL ITP: 580 (only the TOEFL ITP test from VU Amsterdam is accepted)Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): grade A, B or C/ minimum score of 176
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): grade A, B or C/ minimum score of 176
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92
- Proof of sufficiency in mathematics The International Student Advisor will determine this. Examples: International Baccalaureate: Mathematics Standard or Higher Level.Germany: Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, including Mathematics as Grundkurs.
- European Baccalaureate: Mathematics; written or oral examination, at least 4 hours during the Orientation Cycle.
- British GCE A-Levels: A-level in Mathematics. At least grade A,B or C.
- International applicants will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Transcript(s) of records (e.g. High School grade list)
- Curriculum Vitae (your personal details, previous education and any relevant work experience in approximately one A4 page)
- Copy of valid passport
- English language test results (if already obtained)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
About this institute
Welcome to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (‘VU Amsterdam’) is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 170 English-taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to more than 24,000 students from all over the world. Students and staff...
Want to know more about Bachelor in Political Science: Global Politics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Potsdam, United States of America