Bachelor in Political Science: Global Politics
Learn how power works
How did Trump win the 2016 presidential election? Will the US remain the world’s leading power or will China become the dominant player? What are the implications of rising populism for European democracy? During the bachelor’s programme in Political Science: Global Politics VU Amsterdam, you will study political power structures and the influence they have on society.&; According to the 2018 National Student Survey, the bachelor's programme in Political Science at VU Amsterdam is ranked the best of its kind in the Netherlands. Unlike most other universities, VU Amsterdam offers a mix of public administration, national and international politics in the first year. All courses are English-taught and tailored towards generating unique experiences and insights. The Bachelor’s student body is as diverse in nationality and background as the teaching staff.&;
During the bachelor’s programme in Political Science, you will study how societies and international relationships are organised politically and how decisions are made. You will examine the way municipal councils, political parties or the United Nations Security Council function and who ultimately decides.&; You will explore topics such as the shifting global balance of power, EU governance and migration and the origins of war and conflict. At VU Amsterdam you will be trained to conduct independent academic research. Using various scientific methods and techniques, you will learn how to formulate and answer your own research questions. In the classroom, you will discuss issues such as the Brexit vote and the geopolitical tensions with Russia. You will be able to analyse current affairs and the structures that underpin them.
Chat live with students from VU
Do you want to know what it's like to study at VU? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Diploma equivalent to Dutch VWO diploma See the Diploma Requirement List for examples of accepted diplomas per country. Please note: this list is meant to give you an indication of admissibility; no rights can be derived from it.
- Proof of sufficient proficiency in English IELTS: 6.5 (only the Academic IELTS test is accepted)VU TOEFL ITP: 580 (only the TOEFL ITP test from VU Amsterdam is accepted)Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): grade A, B or C/ minimum score of 176
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): grade A, B or C/ minimum score of 176
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92
- Proof of sufficiency in mathematics The International Student Advisor will determine this. Examples: International Baccalaureate: Mathematics Standard or Higher Level.Germany: Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, including Mathematics as Grundkurs.
- European Baccalaureate: Mathematics; written or oral examination, at least 4 hours during the Orientation Cycle.
- British GCE A-Levels: A-level in Mathematics. At least grade A,B or C.
- International applicants will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Transcript(s) of records (e.g. High School grade list)
- Curriculum Vitae (your personal details, previous education and any relevant work experience in approximately one A4 page)
- Copy of valid passport
- English language test results (if already obtained)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Tuition fee for EU: € 1,084
- Tuition fee for NON-EU/EEA: € 7,786
As a Global Politics graduate, you are well prepared to work as a consultant, journalist, researcher or policy officer at a municipality, ministry, embassy, company, research agency or a social or political organisation. Your knowledge of politics and political processes will appeal to a wide range of employers, including international organisations such as the United Nations, the European Union, multinationals and NGOs.
About this institute
Welcome to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (‘VU Amsterdam’) is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 175 English-taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to more than 26,000 students from all over the world. Students and staff...
Why study at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
With more than 24,000 students, of which 4,088 are international, VU Amsterdam conducts cutting-edge research into problems of societal and scientific importance.
They distinguish themselves in research and education through four interdisciplinary themes:
- Human Health and Life Sciences
- Science for Sustainability
- Connected World
- Governance for Society
As a student this will help you to look beyond the boundaries of scientific disciplines, and to seek for tangible solutions for a better world.
In addition, VU Amsterdam regards diversity, whether in culture, conviction, nationality or prior education, as source of innovation and progress, and hence as special strength.
The Dutch higher education system has been ranked in the top 10 by Universitas 21. In the first Times Higher Education University Impact Ranking, VU Amsterdam is ranked 16th worldwide. In this ranking, universities are assessed based on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in order to measure the impact of the universities on society. In the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018 (Shanghai Ranking) VU Amsterdam holds the 104th position. The international QS World University ranking 2021 places the Vrije Universiteit at number 236 in the world, which means the Vrije Universiteit belongs to the top 20% of the world.
At VU Amsterdam, the teaching style can be described as student-centred: they encourage students to develop their own opinions through independent and creative thinking. This means that teaching is mainly conducted in small tutorials, where interactivity is the norm rather than the exception. At every opportunity, students are encouraged to engage in constructive dialogue with their professors.
Want to know more about Bachelor in Political Science: Global Politics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America