About this program
PhD in Transport Systems
Doctoral study program Transport Systems educates graduates with a deep theoretical knowledge of technical and natural sciences, which are supplemented by specific practical skills received by solving real problems based on the current needs of rail, road and air transport systems.
Within the study, it is possible to carry out professional practice in companies engaged in the construction of vehicles or operation of transport systems, internships at foreign universities and scientific workplaces, where the student gains experience from scientific-research cooperation in international scientific teams.
The main objective of the study program is to educate graduates with broad theoretical knowledge in the field of transport systems, supplemented by specific practical knowledge and skills obtained by solving real problems of professional practice or acquired in practice carried out in companies engaged in the construction of vehicles or operation of transport systems, foreign universities and scientific workplaces. Graduates gain experience from scientific-research cooperation in international scientific teams.
Student completes theoretical and technological subjects according to individual study plan and elaborates doctoral dissertation under the supervision of a supervisor demonstrates the ability to creatively extend its knowledge of the field of study, demonstrates the ability of independent creative work in solving challenging tasks in practice both within the university and within international cooperation.
The study program educates top professionals who will be able to work in the scientific, research, development and production spheres in highly professional and managerial positions in the field and related fields.
Doctoral study program Transport Systems is based on the previous doctoral study program
Transport Technique and Technology accredited at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering VŠB – TUO until 2014, and is significantly extended with courses providing the student with a detailed professional view of solved problems of current transport practice to gain deep knowledge of optimization principles. The newly proposed doctoral study program built on the newly accredited Master's study program Transport Systems and Technology, which is currently accredited at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of VŠB-TUO until 2028.
- diploma (follow-up) master’s degree;
- diploma supplement;
- a document proving the fulfilment of the condition of proper completion of studies in (follow-up) master degree program if education was obtained abroad (not applicable equivalent documents, e.g. from the Slovak Republic).
- language certificate. The applicant is required to demonstrate their ability to study in the chosen language. In the case of studying in the Czech language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the Czech or Slovak language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of the Czech language at B1 level. In the case of studying in the English language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the English language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of English at B1 level (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If the information on teaching in English is not given on the document of previous education, it is necessary to provide the so-called "Medium of instruction".
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Czech Language Dr.
- English Language Dr.
- French Language Dr.
- German Language Dr.
- Russian Language Dr.
- Spanish Language Dr.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava for more information.
Tuition fee: 500 CZK per semester, approx. 20 EUR per academic year
The graduate will acquire:
- Methods of scientific research work especially with the use of professional software used by potential training university department (Xpress-IVE, Witness etc.);
- Methods of evaluati on of obtained results and their interpretation;
The graduate is able to extend the knowledge of the field by original research based on the principles of scientific work received during the study and also is able to develop and evaluate theories, concepts and methods of the field, including their inclusion in a wider range.
The graduate of Transport Systems study program will acquire a broad theoretical knowledge of the program and his study is profiled in various scientific areas focused on:
- Processes in transport systems, their modeling and optimization in both deterministic and stochastic operating conditions;
- Procedures related to vehicle design solutions, related reliability calculations and competencies to assess vehicle driving strategies;
- Cross-sectional problems of transport systems (economic aspects, environmental aspects, logistics, human factor, etc.) and optimizing the operation of transport systems.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about PhD in Transport Systems? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!