About this program
PhD in Electrical Power Engineering
The aim of the Doctoral course of study is to prepare highly qualified experts who are able to develop their branch of study by searching for new, original solutions, methods, and procedures, as well as to apply the most demanding generally known methods. The typical employment of the graduates is in the area of research and development, and at universities. Also, the graduates often operate on the international level, e.g. membership in international teams and defending results in front of the international community.
The Doctoral study program Electrical Power Engineering takes four years, graduates receive the academic degree of Doctor (Ph.D. following their name). This program builds on the completed Master’s degree, and the student demonstrates his/her ability to perform independent scientific work. The aim of the Doctoral study program is to further develop the capacity of the excellent Master’s degree graduates for independent creative work in research, development and technological improvement. Through further study of theoretical and application subjects according to an individual study plan and by creating a Doctoral thesis on one of the Electrical Engineering subjects, the student demonstrates his/her ability to creatively expand the existing knowledge of the researched field of study. With his/her dissertation, the student proves his/her ability to creatively solve and present a given problem both orally and in writing, and to defend his/her own approaches to solutions.
- diploma (follow-up) master’s degree;
- diploma supplement;
- a document proving the fulfilment of the condition of proper completion of studies in (follow-up) master degree program if education was obtained abroad (not applicable equivalent documents, e.g. from the Slovak Republic).
- language certificate. The applicant is required to demonstrate their ability to study in the chosen language. In the case of studying in the Czech language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the Czech or Slovak language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of the Czech language at B1 level. In the case of studying in the English language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the English language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of English at B1 level (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If the information on teaching in English is not given on the document of previous education, it is necessary to provide the so-called "Medium of instruction".
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basic Methods of Statistical Data Analysis in Practice
- Computer Measurement and Diagnostics
- Designing Electrical Distribution Networks
- Diagnostics of Electrical Equipment
- Diagnostics of Electrical Quantities
- Electrical Drives
- Electrical Lighting
- Electrical Power Engineering Theory
- Electrical Power Stations and Lines
- Electric Power Systems Control
- Electric Power Systems in Industry
- Energy Problems of Heating Equipment
- Mathematical Methods and Tools for Reliability and Risk Analysis
- Modelling in Electrical Power Engineering
- Power Plants
- Protections and Automatics in Electrical Power Distribution
- Selected Chapters from Electrical Machines Theory
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information
Tuition fee: 50 000 CZK per semester, approx. 4000 EUR per academic year
Graduates of the Doctoral study program are able to:
- design and use advanced research techniques in the discipline in a manner allowing the expansion of knowledge of the discipline through original research.
- develop and evaluate theories, concepts and methods of the discipline, including the definition of fields or their inclusion in wider areas.
The graduates in Doctoral studies can find employment mainly as scientific workers or as managers in research, development or marketing. They are able to conduct scientific work both individually and within a scientific team. Also, the graduates are prepared for educational and scientific activity at universities. The graduates are also able to deal with operational and technical problems in the spheres of generation, transmission, distribution and use of electric energy. The graduate can find employment at leading and managerial positions at the stages of assembly, implementation, maintenance and operation of electrical equipment, in technical, design, investment, and operational departments of power plants and distribution companies, in power control rooms, departments of preparation and operation of electrification systems, in technical, design, investment, assembly, and operational departments of industrial companies, in the area of the use of electrical energy in industry, when dealing with the issues of electrical drives, electric heating equipment, electric lighting of indoor and outdoor areas, at testing laboratories, and in technical testing.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about PhD in Electrical Power Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!