About this program
PhD in Cybernetics
Students who successfully completed their (follow-up) master´s studies in the same field of study or a related one will be admitted to PhD studies. Applicants who have duly submitted their application and have attached all the required documents will be subjected to individiual assessment of the submitted documentation (results of previous studies, CV, a list of published and unpublished works) and the opinion of the supervisor will be taken into account.
The study program Cybernetics follows up to existing master´s study programs offered at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (VŠB-Technical University of Ostrava): Control and Information Systems, Biomedical Engineering. Since cybernetic principles and findings can be as well applied in other application areas, as for example in natural sciences, physiology, systemic biology, etc., the program is also open to graduates of other master´s study programs (computer mathematics, bioinformatics, etc.).
The aim of the educational process is education of specialists being graduates of magister study that are able to pursue independent creative work in the area of research, development and technology improvement. Studying further theoretical subjects with applications according to individual study plan finishing with dissertation thesis oriented on cybernetics, PhD student proves his/her ability to creative extend previously obtained knowledge in given field of study.
The study program Cybernetics includes the use of cybernetic approach for analysis, modeling, simulation and design of systems. Further it applies theoretical knowledge from cybernetics to other fields. Technical cybernetics as a main area of application involves:
- Dynamic systems: control systems with feedback, stochastic and fuzzy description of systems, control algorithms, embedded control systems, etc.
- Transmission of informations: transmission and processing of signals, senzors, measurement and information systems, industrial networks, information entrophy, communication channels, etc.
- Artificial intelligence: machine learning, multi-agent systems,robotics, neural networks modeling and design, expert systems, etc.
- Information technologies for control systems: real-time operation systems, software for real-time applications, SCADA systems, software for communication, etc.
The program is conceived so that to enable study in other application arreas of cybernetics, being based on coexistency of electrical engineering with computer science and computational mathematics on the Faculty, as for example Biocybernetics: modeling and simulation of physiological phenomena, transmission, processing and sensoring of biological signals, hardware and software design for medical systems, Bioinformatics, stochastic modeling based on advanced statistical methods, etc.
- diploma (follow-up) master’s degree;
- diploma supplement;
- a document proving the fulfilment of the condition of proper completion of studies in (follow-up) master degree program if education was obtained abroad (not applicable equivalent documents, e.g. from the Slovak Republic).
- language certificate. The applicant is required to demonstrate their ability to study in the chosen language. In the case of studying in the Czech language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the Czech or Slovak language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of the Czech language at B1 level. In the case of studying in the English language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the English language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of English at B1 level (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If the information on teaching in English is not given on the document of previous education, it is necessary to provide the so-called "Medium of instruction".
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Advanced Signal Processing Methods
- Applets of Integral and Discrete Transforms
- Basic Methods of Statistical Data Analysis in Practice
- Common Theory of Signals and Systems
- Cybernetic Methods in Robotics
- Distributed Control Systems.
- EMC in Electronic Measurement and Equipment
- Fuzzy Systems
- Mathematical Methods and Tools for Reliability and Risk Analysis
- Methods of Optimization
- Modeling, Identification and Simulation in Technical Cybernetics
- Modern Control Theory
- Modern Diagnostic Methods in Medicine
- Modern Methods of Control Systems Software Design
- Neural Networks
- New Trends and Methods in Therapeutic Medical Instrumentation
- Numerical Methods
- Reliability of Electronic Devices
- Safety Related Control Systems
- Sensor Networks for Remote Monitoring of Biosignals
- Sensor Systems in Medical Instrumentation
- Signal Processors and Applications
- Special Instrumentation and Technology in Medicine
- Special Microelectronic Sensors
- Systems of Distributed Medical Diagnostics and Therapeutics
- Tools for Design and Prototype of Embedded Control Systems
- Tools for Measurement and Test Systems Automation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava for more information.
Tuition fee: 500 CZK per semester, approx. 20 EUR per academic year
The graduate is able to design and use advanced scientific methods in cybernetics in such a way that enables to extend the cognition of the field on the basis of his original creative approach. He is capable of solving interdisciplinary problems requiring knowledge not only in cybernetics but also in the collaborative field (e.g., biocybernetics, bioinformatics, biomedical engineering, etc.). He is able to develop and evaluate new cybernetic methods and theories, including definition and differentiation of new focuses.
The graduate will be able to carry out creative research activities on the boundary of cybernetics and other associated branches, using newest methodological tools and optimization techniques, recently developed in the area of mathematics, applied mathematics and artificial intelligence.
Examples of posts where the graduate can find employment:
Research worker, participating at a top research work within national as well as international projects and grands; manager in a corporate research, reacting to market needs and recent development in cybernetics and applied cybernetics; manager in the area of a new medical technique in faculty hospitals or medical institutes; lecturer and guarantor of corresponding university subjects, etc.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about PhD in Cybernetics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!